It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

Evelyn51 HB User
Seroma after removal of large lipoma

I had an intramuscular lipoma, non-encapsulated, removed from my thigh 6 weeks ago that was approximately 6 inches in diameter, 4 inches deep and as the doctor put it, had "arms" that just "kept going" on and on into my thigh. Once removed, it left a huge hole, sewed under the skin and I developed a seroma within a few days. The first time he drained it, he withdrew 50 cc's. It HAS been causing pain and the surgeon kept saying that seromas do NOT CAUSE PAIN. I was going to him (an hour away) every couple of days for him to drain it and his story about the surgery, his care of the seroma and my pain kept changing. He became extremely defensive. I should have researched BEFORE the surgery but I am a very trusting person and this "group" was referred by the neurosurgeon who did my spinal fusion 2 months earlier. Anyway, I became uncomfortable with him treating me and found a local surgeon who agreed to take over my case. The fluid level has INCREASED each time either doctor has drained, rather than DECREASE. He removed 95 cc's yesterday. When it reaches that point, it looks like about the size of a softball growing on my thigh! The pressure alone causes pain. The surgeon I'm seeing now HAS prescribed something for the pain. He also mentioned something yesterday about going back in and stitching up the places where fluid is "leaking" out. My incision from the lipoma removal is about 6" long. Has anyone else ever experienced a large seroma and had pain with it or am I just a wimp? Also, if you have, how long did it take it to finally go away and for you to heal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread