It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

looper09 HB User
Mom's Hallucinating Help

I am very new to this situation. Only child, mother is 72 and hallucinating!
Doctors say in early AD. Mom is fine when someone is around, but otherwise people are in the house, staring, stealing, and just plain scaring! Do not know what to do or where to go or what options ma be available. I am just looking for a starting point. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Mom's Hallucinating Help

Hi I can't tell you how many times someone is simply misdiagnosed. Were electrolytes checked has an MRI been done? Are there any medicines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

have her checked for a bladder infection. I had never heard of this until my girlfriend told me her mom was seeing little green men and it was a bladder infection. So, I asked a nurse friend if that can happen and she said absolutely, very common in the elderly. When my mom had stroke symptoms and was very confused, at the hospital I had them check for a UTI. She had one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mel52 For This Useful Post:
looper09 (12-22-2010), sjb (12-20-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi if an infection causes a fever it sure can, according to other sources I agree with the other posters on this other possible cause. Were any other blood tests done to detect the white blood cell count? Has the temperature been taken and if so what was it? I heard sometimes infection can exist without fevers, even as far as sepsis and apparently passing away according to some sources.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
looper09 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User

Please define what you mean by Hallucinating. This makes a big difference in the diagnosis.

The Following User Says Thank You to unreal For This Useful Post:
looper09 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
(female)

looper09 HB User

Mom has been checked, many meds- currently on seroquel and risperodine, too many to name. No infection her primary checks about every two weeks. By hallucinating, I mean when mom is alone in her home, she sees people, men, women, children sitting and watching tv. She tries to speak to them, but no answer, they do not interact with her, madens her and she gets angry. Cannot understand why we say there is no one there,yet she seems them and they seem very realistic. She is under psycho care, yet no one has defined her diagnosis. They say it may be because she also has glaucoma and has had a occular oclusion in her left eye after a lens implant. But NO ONE can stop the hallucinations, so I run to her home 3-5 times daily just to get the imaginary people out of the house. Need in home care I think but dont know who will pay for such care?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi there! Is this supposed to be resperidone instead of resperidine? If so it can cause hyperglycemia which could cause ketoacidosis which has been associated with hallucinations. Also this drug has been known to cause confusion.

Has there been a urinalysis also? Has there been a change of health professionals?

looper09 (12-21-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

looper09 HB User

Yes, resperidone, is correct. No change in health professionals, gets a urinalysis every two weeks with primary care physician. Hallucinations started in September badly, still cannot get under control. Resperidone just started one week ago!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Ok, did she have an MRI? I would try a different neurologist to ask for one if she has not had one. I know she has been tested but would you mind listing all tests? Were there other sypmtoms she talks about or has talked about surrounding September such as before September. Once upon a time I read a story in a book about aflatoxins in wheat from a bakery in someones town if I remember correctly that cause the people there trouble with hallucinations and found it a fascinating story. Also being on multiple meds can cause some people problems.

looper09 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

This is often the way Alzheimers starts. The best bet you can have is to have the memory test done., rather than the expensive MRIs etc. Having lost my mother to this nasty disease, I can walk you down the hill that you will slide with your mom.

One thing is that if your Mom is already at this point, you need to make sure that she can't turn on the stove and perhaps forget to shut it off. Remove all candles and matches. Remove all scatter rugs so she won't trip and fall. Make sure that you put her meds far out of her reach so she doesn't take too many of any of them.

YOu need to make sure that you have both a durable power of attorney and a medical POA. You need to get these done NOW before your mom gets any worse.

Pleae jump over to the Alzheimers board. We have lists of what goes on in each level of the disease and how you can cope.....hang in there and find help down. You will need it.

hugs........

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
looper09 (12-22-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
looper09 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by looper09 View Post
Mom has been checked, many meds- currently on seroquel and risperodine, too many to name. No infection her primary checks about every two weeks. By hallucinating, I mean when mom is alone in her home, she sees people, men, women, children sitting and watching tv. She tries to speak to them, but no answer, they do not interact with her, madens her and she gets angry. Cannot understand why we say there is no one there,yet she seems them and they seem very realistic. She is under psycho care, yet no one has defined her diagnosis. They say it may be because she also has glaucoma and has had a occular oclusion in her left eye after a lens implant. But NO ONE can stop the hallucinations, so I run to her home 3-5 times daily just to get the imaginary people out of the house. Need in home care I think but dont know who will pay for such care?
that was my next question. Blinding of any kind including glaucoma can cause this in the elderly.
I don't know what to tell you about the home attendant, if you are here in the US adequate healthcare is very hard to get unless you are wealthy.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Hi if she has a tumor or aneurysm in the brain perhaps the hallucinations will stop when they are removed if she has one. A gene test could be done for Alzheimers some say.

looper09 (12-22-2010)
Closed Thread