It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
(male)

krobin436 HB User
Chronic pain from bone spur on anterior femur

I had avascular necrosis of both femoral heads from corticosteroid treatments for ITP. A core decompression was performed on the right femoral head and a bone spur formed as a result. I didn't notice any pain until after both hip joints were replaced and I thought the pain was from the joint replacement. After a recent x-ray it was obvious that there was a 2-3 inch spur coming from the front of my femur. The pain I am experiencing radiates from mid-thigh down to my knee and for some reason my foot. The surgeon does not want to go in to remove the spur because he is afraid it will grow back bigger and stronger. Pre-procedure radiation would prevent this but I have already had radiation before both hip replacements to prevent heterotrophic ossification and he does not want me to have any more. I've been dealing with the pain for roughly a year now and there is only so much naproxen I can take. The pain is getting worse (I assume as the bone spur calcifies/grows more over time) and I'm not sure what my options are.

Question 1 - As far as anatomy goes, are there any nerves wrapped around this thing that would cause the pain to radiate down to my foot?

Question 2 - If there are any orthopedic/neuro surgeons out there, would you perform this if the pain was beginning to affect the patient's ADLs, and if you would perform this would you choose radiation to prevent it from happening again if this was the third time getting radiation?

Question 3 - How likely is it that this will grow back bigger and stronger and should I risk that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg hip2.jpeg (92.2 KB, 5 views)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: Chronic pain from bone spur on anterior femur

Hi, I would suggest getting a 2nd opinion. Before I had surgery on my back, I read it is best to always get a 2nd opinion when it comes to your spine, and invasive procedures. Another doctor may have a completely different opinion and want to do surgery to help you. That is a pretty good size bone spur, I don't blame you at all for wanting to get it taken care of. Living with pain gets old, I know. I do not believe surgeons are allowed on here or any other medical profession. These boards are for people like us to help each other, who have already gone through the same thing or are looking for help with a current problem. I learn more here from others going through the same thing, than any other place I have been. Good luck to you, I hope you can find a doctor willing to help you. Keep searching, and don't let one doctor dishearten you as they are all dif. and where one will do nothing, the next will charge ahead and get it done because they think and do things differently.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kasey443 For This Useful Post:
krobin436 (01-09-2011)
Closed Thread