It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

susieq14 HB User
Ativan prior to MRI

I am having a Cardiac MRI and am very nervous about the procedure (ie. the MRI machine) so my doctor's office gave me a script for two 1 mg tablets of Antivan with instructions to take 1 one hour prior and then repeat. I have 2 questions:

I'm assuming I would take the second one when I get to the facilty right before the procedure?

Will the antivan really help me to relax? will I be drowsy and able to "sleep" thru it?

thanks for any advice!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
(female)

bunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB User
Re: Ativan prior to MRI

Hi susieq14, my Dr prescibed ativan prior to my MRI test and when I took my paperwork to the test it showed that I required the ativan, so the nurse advised me when to take it, I believe it was about 20 mins prior to the MRI. The ativan just relaxes you enough and I always close my eyes, you can also ask the tech if you can go in feet frist as this helps with the anxiety. Hope this helps. Bunz50

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
(female)

chatty kathy HB User

ativan should help you relax and feel "drowsy".
hopefully your doctor has instructed you not to drive to and from the procedure.

like you, i would assume the second pill is to be taken when you get to the facility, just before the procedure (but you could call your doctor's office to clarify).

good luck :-)

Last edited by chatty kathy; 02-15-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
(female)

susieq14 HB User

I'm happy to report that I survived my MRI. Although not entirely carefree the apprehension was worse than the experience. I took a 1mg tablet of antivan at 6:00 am and then took the next at 7:00 when i arrived at the hospital. I was very nervous and the technician could tell and she was very supportive. She actually suggested that my husband accompany me into the test and allowed him to stay at the foot of the table and he held my foot which was comforting. I'm not sure if the antivan really worked during the testing - although the rest of the day all I did was sleep.

The technician offered me an eye mask and headphones but both were too confining and I ripped them off and said no thanks. My husband later told me he didn't think i was going to make it after that little incident and he noticed the tech had a worrisome look as well. Fortunately someone suggested that I bring a small washcloth to put over my eyes and I used that instead of the eye mask and that was a huge help. This way I could keep my eyes closed but also open them from time to time but didn't see that I was in the tube. They gave me a pair of small ear plugs but the noise was not that bothersome. I made sure to lie still and not to touch the walls for fear of feeling closed in.

now I'm trying to relax while waiting for the results.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
(female)

ambertori HB User

Congrats on getting through your MRI. Remember, yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not here yet, so live for today. Try not to assume that things are all going to go negative for you. Easy for me to say because that is exactly how I lived my life. There are so many people that you don't even know that are here for you and will post and pray for you. When I feel like I am losing control I have no other means of getting over my feelings but getting on my computer and pray that someone read what I posted and answered me. Hugs...

Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Great job getting through it!

The trouble with the open MRI machines is that the resolution is not as good as with the regular machines. Field strength of like 0.6 or 0.7 Tesla as opposed to 1.5 or so from the closed machines. If you really can't handle the closed-in machine, the open one is better than nothing, but the closed one is more effective at diagnosing problems.

Closed Thread