It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

maramill HB User
Burning pain on right side of abdmomen for 3 years!!

About 3 years ago I started having an unusual burning pain on the right side of my belly button (about 2-3 inches to the right). The pain lasted about a 7-10 days and then went away. It prompted a visit to the doctors, and after some brief pushing on my lower belly to check for an Appendicitis, my complaint was pretty much ignored. For years it was on and off, but more off than on. Fast forward to now, and the pain is becoming more and more frequent. I've had it almost constantly for the last 3 weeks. The pain has now moved up a little to inbetween where my waist is and under my ribcage, but still on the right side. Sometimes it feels like it's next to my belly button, but it radiates. I thought for sure this was gallbladder, although I don't have any other symptoms. It prompted another visit to the doctor a few weeks ago, and she sent me to have a full upper abdomen ultrasound of all my organs. She called and left me a message the day after I had it done, and said the ultrasounds looked great and I was fine. I'm fine? I'm in constant pain! Something has to be wrong. The pain is like this nagging burning feeling. I press everywhere I think the pain is coming from and feel absolutely nothing. No lump, no nothing. Pressing has no effect on the pain and eating has no effect either. It feels very sore and burns, but always in the same area. The funny thing is when I sleep I do not feel it, but as soon as I wake up the pain gradually starts to increase. It is uncomfortable laying on my right side when I'm going to sleep, so the pressure must be doing something - somewhere! I am just dumfounded as to what this could be. Does anyone have any idea what this might be or had anything similar? I don't even know what to complain about anymore. No one seems to be taking me seriously. I am worried it IS something serious, and no one will listen to me! Should I request a colonoscopy? Could it be intestines? My father passed away at 46 from colon cancer and I'm 39. That is definitely a concern, but not sure it's related to this. HELP!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-15-2011 at 04:36 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to maramill For This Useful Post:
Bruce1245 (04-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Burning pain on right side of abdmomen for 3 years!!

Have you done any exercises or other that may have strained the abdominal rectus muscle? If so, the bundle of nerves that pass through the rectus muscle a few inches to the right of navel may be pinched.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
(female)

loc HB User

Hi, yes, I have the exact same problem and have been through the exact same deal. Ultrasounds are fine; everyone says I'm fine but I am far from fine. I am a female, BTW. Exact same symptoms. If you find out anything please let me know and I'll do the same. Going to see yet another doc tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
(male)

Barrentine HB User

Have taken any doctor treatment for those 3 years? I think you should examine yourself through ultrasound.I think you have some sort of ulcer in your stomach or intestines. But You need to consult any gastroenterologist.

Last edited by Barrentine; 04-02-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
(male)

Bruce1245 HB User

Maramill,

I have the same exact problem! I am a 29 year old male and have had the issue for about 10 months. I've been to doctors and had numerous tests done - all with the same conclusion, that nothing appears to be wrong with me. After reading your post, I now know I am not crazy. I have been experiencing the pain/discomfort for about 10 months, however, I have been unable to sleep on my right side for years as it gives me stomach aches and can be quite painful after a while (which is interesting b/c when I was younger I only used to sleep on my right side). Being it has been a year since you posted, and I haven't found any other forum online similar to this, Pls let me know if you have any updates. Thank you! Bruce

Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
(female)

Cindy89 HB User

This is exactly what i have for 2.5 years now. I have just come back from another ultrasound. Does anyone ever have the pain radiating to the lower and upper back.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
(female)

Ouchie1 HB User

I have been having this same pain you all described for the last 2 weeks now. It's a few inches right of my belly button. 2 years ago I was told that I possibly have gallbladder issues. But I know that pain and where it is usually located. I have been having a flare up of my usual gallbladder pain these last 2 weeks but that new pain started. Are they related? I don't know. I have been having a lot of gas, I can hear gurgling sounds as well. I tend to feel better when I'm standing. Sitting I feel crunched. The pain ranges from intense burning to an annoying I know it's there pain and sometimes I feel fine. When I push on the area it doesn't feel painful. I've also had burning in my lower back on both sides.

You guys are not crazy because I have the pain too and yes it's real. Anyone have any answers? Thank you.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
(female)

Sandyme65 HB User

WOW! For the last 7 months I have had very similar pain. I call mine discomfort because it is not debilitation. It is just below the ribcage on the right side. The best way to describe it is it feels like something is sitting there, that doesn't belong and it makes me uncomfortable. It bothers me most when I am sitting or laying down. I constantly rub, push, and feel to see if anything is there. I recently had a colonoscopy, liver function and liver ultrasound, ct of abdomen, ultrasound of GB, and finally HIDA to check function of GB. Function is a little less than normal. That is it! This is beginning to make me crazy!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandyme65 For This Useful Post:
deniselily10 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
(female)

deniselily10 HB User

what do they do if the Hida Scan is not normal ? Did the doctors totally resolve your issues ? I'm going through the exact same thing.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
(male)

bokygreat HB User

I'm one more in the queue who waits to find out what is going on down there. I have the pain (not really strong pain but it is there) on the right side of my abdomen. Always on the right side. Sometimes below the ribcage, sometimes next to the belly button, but sometimes exactly where appendix is located. I've been to doctors and had numerous tests done, like Bruce said (I'm also 29 years old) and on the end the same conclusion, that nothing appears to be wrong with me. Blood test 100% fine, ultrasounds are clear, physical examination by doctors also fine. I have been experiencing the pain/discomfort for about 5 years. It comes, lives with me a couple of weeks then disappear for a months. If someone asks me to mark the pain from 1 to 10, usually it is 2 so not so strong. I'm sad because after numerous of doctors I visited I still don't know what is going on there. But finally I'm happy that at least I found this forum/thread and here I can share my problem which bothers me very long time. My wife and parents started to ignore my complaints about the pain. No one seems to be taking me seriously. I understand that these symptoms are confusing even for doctors not for people around me. I was pointing at Appendicitis but doctors said that Appendicitis cannot last weeks or months. Kidney/Gallbladder stones are excluded by ultrasound/x-rays. Blood tests show that liver works fine.
On the end, if not Appendicitis or any other hidden disease, in my case it could be:
*IBS - Irritable bowel syndrome
- I have diarrhea more often then anyone around me in the house. Also bloating and gas.
*Stretched abdominal muscles
- Could be some kind of injury from my job where I had to lift packages by hands
*Abdominal pain triggered by stress/anxiety (here is my question if pain is triggered by stress, why is it only on the right side not left???)
- Recently I have been diagnosed with Anxiety but just a year ago and before that I didn't have this amount of stress but i had the pain
*Twisted Gallbladder (very rare case but possible)
- Somehow one of the doctors found on ultrasound image that my Gallbladder is twisted/bended and that cause waves of pain. I couldn't see that on the image.
Sorry for my English language, it is not my main language but i hope you will understand me because I'm talking about the same issue you all have. I would be happy if this thread remains open and updated. At least i feel 1% better now as I found this thread. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy that we all experience some mysterious pain but I found people who finally understand me.

The following user gives a hug of support to bokygreat:
Sandyme65 (11-13-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
(female)

deniselily10 HB User

Yes, this strange burning sensation is a mystery, I've had my for two months on my right side of my stomach about a couple of inches below my ribcage, it radiates up and down in this area, it is not a pain that prevents me from doing anything it's just annoying.
I've been tested for h pylori, ultrasound, liver function, all normal . I do have acid reflex but I take acid reducing meds. I will have a CT scan tomorrow only because I asked for it.
I have extreme anxiety, and I'm just making myself sick from it. I totally understand you !

The Following User Says Thank You to deniselily10 For This Useful Post:
bokygreat (10-30-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
(male)

bokygreat HB User

Ok, here is a little update on the newest findings in my case of "mysterious" abdominal pain.
This time I am going to make story short and it would be the best way to help you as much as I can.

Symptoms:
Constant abdominal pain on my right side (4 weeks in a row now, 7 years since the first time. On scale from 1 to 10 - the pain strength 2-3. Burning and sometimes short sharp pain)
a. under ribcage just where liver is
b. next to the belly button (right side)
c. appendix-like pain
d. sometimes, but no so offten, next to my spine also right side
* no fever, no vomiting, normal food intake, body weight constant (80kg), diarrhea sometimes (more related to anxiety), bloating and gases very offten. Also I can find position which suits me more the other positions does not matter if I lay down or sit.

The most recent physical examination by GP doctor could not tell anything. He was sure that it is not Appendicitis as it cannot last long. I was not so sure about that. But I was more worried about my liver and other organs even I did not have clear reasons for that. You all understand that constant pain makes me sick every day. What ever I have been doing recently or before my mind was occupied by thinking of appendix and liver problems. So I pushed my GP to go forward and let me do more tests. Finally.

Ok, here we go:
Blood pressure - 125/80
Blood sugar level - 5,2
Sedimentation - low, white blood cells - normal
Blood test - All under normal limits
Blood test (liver enzymes) - All under normal limits
Urine - all normal
Ultrasound of abdomen - all normal
CT scan of abdomen - all normal

So, all results - everything fine but the pain still exist there.
My friends, to help you from this forum and others somewhere else, in case that you have results as I have, where everything is fine, then you should consider next:

*IBS - Irritable bowel syndrome or
*Stretched abdominal muscles or
*Abdominal pain triggered by stress/anxiety or
*Pinched nerves which go from the spine

If you ask me, I think that I have all of this up. Yes, I am still confused but at least nothing of that above is deadly.
I hope this can help to someone of you.
Cheers

Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
(female)

Sandyme65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniselily10 View Post
what do they do if the Hida Scan is not normal ? Did the doctors totally resolve your issues ? I'm going through the exact same thing.
I went to the surgeon and she told me that what I was having was classic gallbladder symptoms. She said that since I did not have gall stones that she could not be 100% sure it was my gall bladder, but she will do the surgery if I want it done. I do not know what to do. I am at an age where I don't want to go under unless absolutely necessary. What if I have it done and then it isn't the gall bladder?

I hope you get answers on your issues. I would suggest having the HIDA done.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
(female)

Sandyme65 HB User
Smile Re: Burning pain on right side of abdmomen for 3 years!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce1245 View Post
Maramill,

I have the same exact problem! I am a 29 year old male and have had the issue for about 10 months. I've been to doctors and had numerous tests done - all with the same conclusion, that nothing appears to be wrong with me. After reading your post, I now know I am not crazy. I have been experiencing the pain/discomfort for about 10 months, however, I have been unable to sleep on my right side for years as it gives me stomach aches and can be quite painful after a while (which is interesting b/c when I was younger I only used to sleep on my right side). Being it has been a year since you posted, and I haven't found any other forum online similar to this, Pls let me know if you have any updates. Thank you! Bruce
You definitely are not crazy. But, after awhile, I think people that haven't experienced anything like this think we are hypochndriacs. I have had the same discomfort for more than a year...constant. It used to come and go, now it just stays. I have had every test you can think of. The only thing that they now think it could be is gall bladder, although I do not have stones. I did have a HIDA test done and it came in at 32%. They say normal is 35% so mine is low/normal function. The surgeon I spoke with said surgery may/maynot help. If it is gall bladder it will, but until they do the surgery they won't know for sure if it is the gall bladder. Hang in there and I hope you get some answers. The ball is in my court now....to have or not to have the surgery

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandyme65 For This Useful Post:
amybass77 (02-10-2013)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
(female)

brypatty HB User

HI good day!!!

This could be because of the muscle fatigue or dehydration.Try exercising all parts of your body. it also sometimes of due disuse atrophy. Consult the doctor if it is persists. Because you right of abdomen sounds like the liver to me.I'll been through all the test ask them to test the blood first then if they do say it might the liver.do a liver biopsy it only hurts for to sec but its a thought don't rule out of gladder.

Good luck to you ...
thanks a lot.

Closed Thread