It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
(male)

jmm0070 HB User
Random temporal anosmia, very weird

Ok so my girlfriend has a seemingly very wierd condition (i couldn't find any similar case in the web) where she randomly loses her olfaction completely during also random periods of time, that are never under a couple hours but never over a full day. During these no-sense of smell periods she can sometimes smell things again but very mildly.

As with any common temporary anosmia, she also loses her taste completely, but she can inhale perfectly, without smelling a thing, suggesting it is not infection/cold related... As of what she remembers, this has been happening to her since something around 3 years ago, but she is not always aware of when it happens, since it is absolutely random and to confirm she lost her olfaction she must smell some really strong scent to check if she senses nothing, therefore most of the times she doesn't even notice.

The locations, situations and times when this happens to her are also absolutely random, i have been trying to find a relationship to something but seemingly there is none...

Any medical help would be appreciated. If anyone has heard about something similar or knows what this could be about please inform me. Thanks in advace.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Random temporal anosmia, very weird

Has she been to see an ENT Dr.? I know I will lose my sense of smell and taste if my sinuses are acting up badly, but that is about it. Her problem needs to be addressed by a Dr. unless someone here has the same one and can shed some light on it for you.

Best of wishes...JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
(male)

jmm0070 HB User

Thanks! She hasn't been seen by an ent doctor yet, and as a new update in the current loss she's experiencing (now she's being aware of it) she has been more than a day and a half with almost absolute loss of olfaction and taste, but perfect inhalation.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

She definately needs to get checked out. I seriously have never heard of anyone losing their sense of smell or taste that long unless they were sick. There just might be some sinus issue that needs checking.

Please keep us updated, and wishing you both luck..JJ..

Old 04-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi, does she suffer from migraine headaches? I get migraines and the opposite actually happens to me sometimes before the pain- sometimes a day or so before the pain. I smell things that are not there - bad smells like dog waste, smelly feet odors - no one else smells them so I have stopped asking because people tend to look at me like I'm nuts. Anyway I suppose the opposite could happen also? Sometimes I don't even get the pain and the doc considers this a "silent" migraine.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
(male)

jmm0070 HB User

nope, no hedaches at all, it's just random. She now regained the sense after 3 days, and again she got it suddenly, or maybe she didn't notice the change if it was gradual. Today something different that may be linked happened to her: she cauldn't inhale through the nose for a while (aroud 20 minutes, 2 times) due to some sort of inflamation, as she claims, maybe caused by an allergic reaction. She says this always happened to her before, until she got a surgery for turbinate hypertrophy to reduce them and stop the obtructions, now they're less common. She has never loss her olfaction and been obstructed at the same time (when she stops being obstructed she can smell things, and when she can't smell she has never got obstructed in between), or if it has happened she never noticed it, hence there might be a relationship. If anyone knows, please let me know, thanks for your help!

Closed Thread