It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
(female)

dani81016 HB User
Peripheral Artery Disease - help with foot/toe pain?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of any methods of pain relief for PAD sufferers (non-drug).

My mom has bypass surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks but the pain is unbearable right now. It's constant excruciating pain and the pain meds aren't working. I just wonder if there is anything anyone has tried that might help relieve the pain a bit (i.e. exercises, massage, etc). Thank you for any information.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
(male)

LorenH HB User
Re: Peripheral Artery Disease - help with foot/toe pain?

Cayanne pepper works!!!! Feel free to do a google search before trying. Health food stores should have some type of cayanne capsules. Doctors and nurses will agree too, that cayanne is outstanding for anyone with cardiovasular disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Peripheral Artery Disease - help with foot/toe pain?

if this pain is only in the foot/toes, ask her doc to Rx something called lidocaine ointment 5%. i have excruciating pain that no narcotic will even come close to touching since it too is more 'nerve damage based' type pain? the best thing that i have found to even try and get SOME level of tolerable with two syndromes that are like this is by using alot of different 'topicals"? the lido ointment is something that comes in a tube that you can simply rub into the pain area? tho there ARE also lidocaine patches, they would be hard to even cut to fit in the areas where she it having the most pain. unless she has larger solid areas above the foot or on top of the foot or ankle? THEN the patches would stick/cut to fit better.

but if you cannot 'kill it' or really hit it with narcotics, you try going to the 'outside' instead of trying the more prone to side effect meds(usually the more anti siezure type meds have the best chance with THIS type pain) that in many cases just wont work. narcotics wont work for this type of pain either as she is finding out. just wondering tho what they have her on as far as the narcotic? in some cases, it 'could' respond only if the narcotic itself is simply strong enough? or simply the more 'appropriate med for the pain levels". has she ever actually tried ANY of the many different anti siezure meds, or esp lyrica? that was the ONLY med that even came close to touching my two uglier syndromes. side effects tho made me have to go off, but everyone IS different in how any given med will work 'for them' too.

i would very highly recommend at least trying the lido ointment for her. it does not work quite as well as the actual patches do, but it CAN take the edge off for her and simply make it much more bearable. the lido ointment and patches are really amazing in what they can do just so you do not 'feel' that full impact so much? you CAN at least hopefully get tolerable.

there is also a med/topical called biofreeze that is a wonder topical too. i use the biofreeze(comes in a roll on) and the lido patches together for certain pain syndromes or even when i tore my rotator cuff tendon in half. those two "topicals' held down my pain for many months til i could finally GET the needed surgery. if she has actually tried the anti siezure med route without any real success, see about possibly upping whatever she is on for narcotic(ya never know if any narcotic actually works til it is AT the appropriate level FOR the pain and level type). but mostly, DO try the lidocaine ointment that she can really rub into the more painful areas. sometimes simply 'numbing' and lowering our pain THAT way can really work ten times better than any level of narcotic can. it all really depends on whether or not the actual pain generator attaches to the opiate receptor in the brain as to if any narcotic will even work. if it does not, narcotics, no matter the dose or level will ever help it, or touch it.

i hope she can try the lido ointment. it, and those patches really have seen a lifesaver for me since my spinal cord injury in 03 generated pain like i had never thought was even remotely possible to feel in the human body. the topicals are just something that have worked at times sooo much better than ANY amount of even the strongest of the strong narcotics could. please let us know how she is doing. and good luck with the surgery, i DO hope it can help her. FB

Last edited by feelbad; 04-24-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Closed Thread