It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
(male)

elwayisgod HB User
Can't raise left arm up

Hi,

Last few days I"m unable to lift my left arm up all the way. I can get to about shoulder level then it starts to hurt really bad. Reaching for things or motion to wash my hair is really painful. I also tried this. Standing up with my arms extended out in front of me with palms down. Tried to rotate my hands to where the palms would be facing up. Cannot complete on my left hand as to painful. Not really sure what this all means. Never happened before ever. Haven't done anything to trigger this that I know of

The following user gives a hug of support to elwayisgod:
MountainReader (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can't raise left arm up

Shoulders are funny, and sometimes things like this just happen. Still, you don't want to let it go too long, because the longer you wait the harder it will be to get your shoulder back to normal.

It's now the weekend. On Monday (Tuesday if you are in the US) call a doctor and make an appointment. In the meanwhile, try ice, heat or Advil to try to calm down any inflammation in that shoulder, and don't lift anything too heavy with that arm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Jane gave you some good advice.

A few years ago, I woke up with a sore shoulder, it quickly went into loss of range of motion and pain when I did upper motions with my arm. Very similar to what you are describing. My PCP recommended ice and NSAIDS. I eventually started PT. It didn't do much so I went to an orthopedic shoulder doctor who made a diagnosis of Shoulder Impingement Symdrome. I had shoulder tendonitis and bursitis that were part of this as well. It might be worth your while to do an internet search on Shoulder Impingement Syndrome to see if it fits your symptoms. Many people find relief with the ice, NSAIDS and exercise. I ended up finding good relief with arthroscopic decompression surgery where they "cleaned" things out.

Wishing you well,
MountainReader

Old 05-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

One possibility is a rotator cuff irritation, which is a common shoulder problem.

My shoulders were also extremely painful, especially when I reached across my body, or lifted my arms above my head, etc. When I made an incorrect movement with my arms, the pain would be severe and would take a little time before the pain would ease. The longer I let it go, the worse it got.

I was able to restore full functionality back to my shoulders and arms by slowly and carefully building up my shoulder muscles. It took my quite a while, doing very simple, non-painful, shoulder-strengthening exercises. Currently I am able to do pushups, weight lifts, weight curls without any discomfort.

The cure, for me, was to wake-up my shoulder muscles so that they would better support my rotator cuffs.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread