It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
(female)

Dead End HB User
Severe pain in abdomen on right side- Please help!

About a week or so ago I began getting severe pain in my right side, mostly right after eatting foods with high levals of lactose in them. I brushed it off thinking that it was just the fact that I'm lactose intolerant (although it hasn't bothered me to eat dairy products such as cheese in almost 8 years now). I explained it to my mom, who pretty much agreed with me at that time. It's now a week later, and any time I eat anything (even just toast with nothing on it), instantly the pain is back. It starts right under my 10th rib on my right side, and the pain is so intense I can feel it all the way threw my back and up in my shoulder blades but it tends to always stay on the right side. I havn't been able to hold down any food for the past few days, I end up either throwing it up, or, as gross as it is, I end up with diarrhea.

I told my mom all of this and she just told me "It's nothing to worry about, Just a stomach virus.". But, I get sick quite alot, and I've had plenty of stomach viruses. I don't feel nausus at all if I don't eat, and although the pain is pretty much constant now, It doesn't feel like it's my stomach hurting. The skin around the general area of pain is tender to the touch, and it hurts if I inhale deeply.

I tried to ask my mom if I should go to the doctor, but she said no. Should I ask again? I just want to be able to eat again and this pain is becoming a little to much for me.

(I work part time at a Subway, so... my boss doesn't like it very much when I have to ask him to leave early because I start throwing up. Any advice would be wonderful!!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
(female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User
Re: Severe pain in abdomen on right side- Please help!

Hi Dead End,
It sure sounds like it could be a gallbladder attack. I went though the same thing a couple years ago. You really do need to see a Dr to get checked out

Old 07-24-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I second the gallbladder issue. Please see a doctor ASAP.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
(male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User

From the description of your symptoms, it's almost certainly your gallbladder. Do go see the doctor.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

And if you still can't keep any food down, perhaps you should head to the ER. You could have a stone caught in the bile duct or the gb could be seriously diseased and about to rupture.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
(female)

Dead End HB User

All of these were really helpfull, although, my mom is still disagreeing with me.

This morning, I woke up and barely could get out of bed, so, I made my mom drive me out to the ER. The doctor there listened to what I had to say and instantly said "I think that's your Gallbladder, either that or your apendix" (It was the same ER doctor I saw a few years ago, ironically, when I had a swollen lymph node and my mom thought my apendix had gone bad). So they took some blood samples, urine samples, and gave me a mild pain medicine (I am still pretty loopy as we speak, I don't do well with pain medicine, most of the time 800mg Motrin is enough to take away pain for me). I got a Ultrasound done and was told that everything in my gallbladder and liver looked fine and nothing looked distressed or infected and that I just had a UTI (which makes no sense, becasue, it does not bother me in the least bit to go to the restroom, but apparently, they found blood in my urine) and a bit of Acid Reflux and put me on some antibiotics and a few other things. Then they told me that I might have a kidney stone (ouch.).

I just feel like it really doesn't add up, but, I don't want to tell my mom that, because, she thinks I'm a hyprecondreact (because, I don't like being in pain, nor do I like being sick and not knowing what is wrong with me). I don't want anything to really be wrong with me, but.. at the same time, I feel like I'm being treated for things I don't have (like a UTI).

Anyways, I have a follow up with my doctor in a few days, and if it isn't any better, their going to get a CT Scan to see if I happen to have kidney stones. If not, as usual, my mom is going to tell me to suck it up and deal with it. XP

Does anyone know a better way to get rid of pain besides using Hydrocodone? (I still have to go into work, and Hydrocodone knocks me on my but instantly. XP I hate pain medicines, but it's to painful to go without them, if that makes sense.)

Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
(female)

spongebobgamma HB Userspongebobgamma HB User

I'm glad you went to the ER to get checked out and that you have a followup appt with your Dr.
A CT will be good to check on the kidney stones.
When I had the gallbladder pain it didn't show anything in the ultrasound or Ct, looked normal. I had a hida scan which showed it was only functioning at 16%. I had it removed and it was found to be very diseased.

The Following User Says Thank You to spongebobgamma For This Useful Post:
Dead End (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

When you go to your doctor, do ask for a HIDA scan....esp if you aren't feeling better by then after taking all these meds. Since there was blood in your urine it could be a UTI or a kidney infection - which would explain a lot. Hang in. Also, try taking 1/2 a pain pill...that may help.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
(female)

Dead End HB User
Exclamation Re: Severe pain in abdomen on right side- Please help!

I can't thank you guys enough for taking the time of day to give me all these helpful replies.

I tried to explain to my mom the HIDA Scan (how do i pronouce that? Hee-da, High-da, H-I-D-A?), and she came back with "It's not your Gallbladder, Okay! It's just a UTI, I'm sorry that your side hurts, Just deal with it."

So that's what I've been doing all day. Dealing with it. She claims that it can't be my gallbladder because I am only 17... should that matter? I mean, I know I'm young, but I am slightly over weight (5'7'' and I weight about 170, I have alot of pudge) and I don't have the most healthy diet.

But, I noticed about thirty minutes ago, that my stomach felt really sore, so I lifted my shirt and I fround red bumps spread from right above the pain down that side (the right) and they are spreading across my stomach. I went in to show it to my mom (after having to wait for her to finish her text message) and she said "I don't know what it is. Probably just a heat rash. Go take a shower."

I'm on the medication: Ranitidine and Nitrofurantion Mono/MAC. Also, Instead of taking the Hydrocodone (because I don't do well with strong pain medication), my mom has been giving me a lighter pain medicine (that I don't know the name off). I've only taken all of these twice (one last night, one this morning).

My mom said that it's nothing (the bumps), but, I can't help but freak out. Is it a new symptom, or am I having an allergic reaction to something? Should I go behind her back and contact my doctor or should I just wait?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

It's pronounced High-Da. It's a test for gb function. Below 35% or above 75% is considered non-functioning. The bumps could be an allergic reaction to one of your meds.

I'd give the meds you've already been given a chance to work...4-5 days....before you go back to the doctor. Though you could call about the rash.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Dead End,

You may have a kidney stone and yes you need to follow-up with you doctor. They other reason that you need to get in to see your doctor is because your symptoms sound like you may also have shingles. Shingles are another form of chicken pox that runs along the nerve root. You develop a rash in one part of your body and if in fact you do have shingles, than YES you are in pain. There is medication that can be given to you to help with the symptoms but you must get the medication soon after the symptoms begin to show. The nausea can be caused by the pain you are experiencing and the blood in your urine can be a sign that the shingles have effective your right kidney. In any case, you need to be seen by your doctor because if you in fact have shingles, then you need to stop working for a period of time (incubation period) so that you do not infect your co-workers or any customer that come into the store especially any co-worker or customer who may be pregnant.
Shingles use to be considered an elderly persons disease, however, that is not the case now and I know of several teens who have been diagnosed.
So please inform your mother, that you really need to be seen and let me know how you are doing.

Closed Thread