It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

NotSoGirly HB User
Red face Burning,Stinging, Itchy Skin under cast. Please help!

Hi everyone! Here's a little background for you I had left ankle surgery on July 15th. When I was younger, the bones of my feet grew together instead of apartIn medical terms, I had a peroneal Tendon Synovectomy, Calcaneal Osteotomy, Gastrocneumius Recession, and Talar Navicular Coalition. Gold star for anyone who actually knows what that is. In laymen's terms, I had part of bone removed, the arthritic part of my heal removed, my heal moved over with 2 screws put in, and my Achilles tendon "released".

Here's what's going on. I do have anxiety disorder, and I have had 4 full blown panic attacks which started about 3-4 days ago. Prior to this I hadn't had one since I was a freshman in high school, about this freaking cast! It's my first cast and I dont know what to do.

The gause they used to wrap around my foot ankle and leg got loose and fell out [with my help obviously] I have really sensitive skin and it was driving me nuts. Since that happened, and I'm sure it's also due to my muscles shrinking, my cast is loose. Very loose. I can basically fit up to my thumb into it at the top.

Also, and I'm sure everyone who's had a cast has experienced this, I can not sleep at night because it is just comfortable. I'm never comfortable. My skin , mostly at night, feels like it's on fire. when i try to adjust my foot inside the cast and it even touches the side of the cast, it stings so much. It's also unbelievably itchy. It's itchy to the point that the itch hurts and it's driving me insane. It feels like the skin under the cast is covered in hives and the cast is fire which causes the skin to burn and sting when it's touched.

I'm going back to the doctors on monday to get the cast off and have the stitches removed, x-rays taken etc, and probably get a new cast [joy]. As it is right now, I can kind of move my foot enough so I know that I'm not really 'trapped' which really helps me calm down, and my mom has been really supportive in helping me calm down. However I'm seriously concerned about being put back into a cast that is super tight and having a worse panic attack.

I'd love some help with this!!
Courtney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Burning,Stinging, Itchy Skin under cast. Please help!

Hi Courtney,

I hope this response gets to you before your appointment today.
Sounds like quite a surgical procedure--when they take the cast of today make sure that they really inspect your skin to make sure that you are not having a reaction to whatever material they are using for the cast or the bandage that was placed when you had your surgery.
The second cast may not be as bad as the first. Request that you be able to wash you leg before the second cast in placed so that you can get all of the iodine that was used to wash you leg before surgery, that also may be what was irritating your skin.
Let me know how you do and hang in there, the cast is not forever and its sounds like you have been dealing with this orthopedic problem for awhile.

Closed Thread