It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
(female)

pineappleplant HB User
Bunion/ Bunionectomy

I had my first surgery in Sept 2007, for Bunionectomy on the right foot, since after the first surgery, I had six more surgeries. I just had the last one this August 2011. I want to let you know that through this ordeal, of trying to fix a painful bunion, it ended up for me loosing one of my joint because of infection (through bone rubbing bone)/ bone dying. I had to have a bone graft in Sept 2010 to replace the lost bone. Since I am a petite person 5 feet, weight 100 lbs, the plate on my foot from bone grafting from my ankle, was to big and starting to bother me. On May 2011, doctor removed the plate, after 8 months from the bone grafting surgery. During the time of healing (after the plate was removed) after 6 weeks, a part of the bone that was supposed to be fused broke off, then this last surgery, doctor has to put back a smaller plate. The one thing that I think ( only my speculation) that started this problem was the therapist that I worked with did not see any xray picture, ( which they claim is not a standard procedure) so she was trying to pull my toe and stretching it, when it just went through a bunion surgery, few week ago. Another thing is that when there's a swelling going on, and xray is not good enough to see the problem, doctor knows that I was in pain but she kept on taking x ray, only then, CT shows - non union of the bone, but this is not until its already too late. My Advise: if you have continues pain after bunion surgery (about 3 weeks)- request to have a CT scan, before you lost your bone and joint like me, very likely the bone is not healing well. No more heels for me, but I am very thankful that I still have my foot and doctor (a different doctor) can still fix my foot. Don't know yet the result of this surgery but this is my story for now. I can give you an update few months later. i am still recovering from my last surgery. From Sunny Day in Hawaii

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread