It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
(male)

khsu HB User
How to prepare for my physical

I've heard from physicians both that I should fast (12 hours before) and that I don't have to fast.

The last time I fasted for a physical, shortly after I had blood drawn (4 tubes full), I almost fainted (numbness, nausea, cold sweat, almost blacking out completely). I'm presuming I should eat some breakfast this time then? Or will that throw off the blood tests completely?

Last edited by khsu; 09-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: How to prepare for my physical

If they are doing blood tests, it would be best to fast. Most doctor offices have fruit or juice to give you right after they draw blood if you're feeling woozy. Be sure to mention what happened last time. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

It depends on what kind of tests you are having done. Some blood tests need no fasting but most do. I fast for 9 hrs. before a blood test as 12 makes me also sick to my stomach and woozy. If they are doing cholesterol check and blood sugar tests then yes, you need to fast. Hopefully your appt. is early and you can bring something with you like crackers and maybe a bottle of juice to drink after. My Dr. doesn't do blood tests in her office so I fast for about 9 hrs. and go to the lab the next morning and then go right next door and eat breakfast.

Good luck...JJ....

Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It's best to ask your doctor. For my gyno visits, I don't need to fast. For my internist, I do but I go a week before my appt for just the blood work so that we have the results while I am there and can go over them. You might ask about that as well. That way I go first thing when they open for the bloodwork and it doesn't matter what time my doc's appt is. I have low blood sugar so there is no other way for me to make it!

Closed Thread