It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

TB5271 HB User
my 16 year old have pain under rib cage to the left, can not eat solid food

My daughter was a very healthy 15 year old (very active in sports), up to about 10 weeks ago. She is now 16 as of last month (Oct), at first it started out when she would participate in her school sports she would get nausea and sometimes vomit, especially if she was about to or was menstruating. Then she started to complain (after a few weeks), about pain under her rib cage, center towards the left side….went to our M.D. and he did all blood work and it all came back ‘FINE’. He gave her antibiotics and said to return in about a week if they did not help…..well they did not help. She wound up in the ER very early on a Sat. morning for severe pain under rib cage center to left side and tightness all the way around her back….they also did blood work and a ultrasound (ultrasound and blood work done in ER, all normal), gave her pain med and anti nausea med and told her to return to her regular M.D., which she did the very next day. He (her reg. M.D.), ordered a CAT SCAN, with and without dye. All which has, along with all the blood work that was done, came back ‘normal’. PLEASE Note: she is now only able to eat ‘baby food’ without being in severe pain….NO SOLID foods what so every without getting severe pain very quickly. Yesterday (11/8/11) she had an upper GI done which showed NO blockage to the stomach. She is now having a PIPIDA SCAN with CCK on 11/12/11. She has NOT lost her appetite (the poor kid is so very hungry); she has lost about 15 lbs in the last 4 weeks. I am getting very worried and scared. Can anyone help me in this? Why is noting showing up? Thank you, her Mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: my 16 year old have pain under rib cage to the left, can not eat solid food

This test is to determine gallbladder function. If her score is below 35% or above 75% it is considered to be non-functioning. Be sure to ask for the percentage when you get the result and not just whether or not it was "fine." Sounds like they are checking things out properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
TB5271 (11-09-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

That could be gastroparesis. The only test that detects gastroparesis is a stomach emptying study, but a good gastroenterologist may be able to guess by listening to the stomach.

In the meantime, just get out the blender and try to get as many calories into her as possible!

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
TB5271 (11-10-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
(female)

Beautiful Bell HB User

It takes a lot to discover that the gall bladder is not working. To find my problems with my gall bladder they did an older test for me. They gave the gall bladder (by injection) something to digest and decided it was not working. Sorry very poor memory of what that test was. A surgeon was the one that diagnosed me with gall bladder disease. My hunger was always there but had symptoms like your daughter. Feels like a knife in your back. (pain radiates around to the back) My guess is the gall bladder. Hang in there and be persistant cuz it took several months before they diagnosed me with gall bladder disease. (Cholycystectomy) This disease usually is inherited in families and fallows down in generations. My daughter had severe problems not easily detected as will but an awesome surgeon new the symptoms and took her gall bladder out at age 12. She continued to have problems for a couple months after surgery but eventually everything cleared up after all was healed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beautiful Bell For This Useful Post:
TB5271 (11-10-2011)
Closed Thread