It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

TigerPaw2011 HB User
Question Why would my doctor want to repeat a blood test in 6 weeks?

I had a blood test done on 30th December and on the 6th this month I got a letter through saying I need another in 6 weeks. I phoned up to make the appointment, but they never said why I need it... Any ideas why a doctor would want to repeat this test? It was a general blood test.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User
Re: Why would my doctor want to repeat a blood test in 6 weeks?

Depending on the results and why you needed a blood test, it could be to test for vitamin deficiency/excess, hormone levels, blood characteristics ( like your white cell count ), any diseases or infections. It's basically just to see how you're doing after some time has passed, to see if anything has changed. This is especially important if your doctor had you start doing something different, like a new medication or a change in your diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

TigerPaw2011, if it were me, I would call the doctor's office and ask why the second test is necessary. I would want to know as much as I could about my health.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I agree with Machaon. Call the Drs. office and ask why you need a repeat as it could be any number of things, like cholesterol, blood sugar or any of the things the other poster said. 3 months ago my white blood count came back a tad high, which means a slight infection so I had to have it redone and it was fine. I did have a nasty cold when I went for my blood work so not surprised my WBC count was off. Don't forget too, sometimes there are errors made at timess. I had a Thyroid test done 3 years ago which came back very high and yet I have no Thyroid problem so it was repeated only to find out it was an error and none have come back high since.

Best wishes and good luck...JJ....

Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Always get a copy of lab work each time, then, you can see what is out of range or about to go out of range. The range is usually on side of the lab report.

Do you suppose your doctor is just now bothering to look at your previous lab work and noticed something that needed to be followed up on? If so, I would start looking for a new doctor that will take care of things in a normal amount of time. Doctors usually get lab results within 2 days and should provide you with results within or by 2 weeks.

If the doctor does not send you a copy, call and request one be mailed to you.

It is very important to always get a copy of your lab work, keep a medical record for yourself.

Closed Thread