It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

jrm12345 HB User
prolonged lower, right abdomen pain

i have had sharp, achy, prolonged pain in my lower, right abdomen area. It started in April 2010. In July 2010, I went to my gastroenterologist because I've had problems with Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the past. He was concerned with the pain so he scheduled a colonoscopy. The test showed nothing, everything looked good, so he scheduled a CT Scan with barium. Test results only showed a few small stones in my appendix but the appendix did not look infected. My area of pain is exactly where my appendix is and it is extremely tender to the touch. He scheduled me an appointment with a surgeon to discuss the chance that it could be my appendix. After discussion with the surgeon, we decided to take out the appendix and he would also check for any other problem areas while he was in there. My appendix was taken out in Aug 2010 and the lab result on my appendix came back and said early stage appendicitis. The surgeon did not see anything out of the ordinary while he was in there. Everything was fine for about 6 months, until the pain started coming back. I went back to the surgeon in Jan 2011 and he said he didn't know what it could be except maybe scar tissue. In Feb 2011 I went to my gynecologist for my routine yearly checkup. I told her about my pain and the appendicitis. She said it could possibly be endometriosis. She told me to stop taking the brown pills in my birth control each month and see if that helps. It is now Jan 2012 and I am still having the same intense pain I have had since April 2010. It hurts to stand for long periods of time, it is still tender to the touch, hurts to bend over, run or exercise, lay on my stomach for long periods, go the bathroom, vomit, cough, sneeze, etc. The pain even shoots through my back and down my groin at times. Basically it hurts me all the time and I am tired of it. No one can tell me what this is. I have considered a hernia, but there is no bulge that I can tell. It is time for my yearly exam with my gynecologist again in Feb and I am going to bring it up again and see what we can do to try and help the pain. Any suggestions??? Anything will be considered helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
(female)

Myranda HB User
Re: prolonged lower, right abdomen pain

Have you asked them to check your gall bladder?bile ducts? try to pay attention and see if it gets worse after eating (especially fatty meals) I had Gallbladder disease for 7 months & went to the hospital over 20x a couple twice in one day visits! (yep still was billed even though they failed to diagnose me) I was diagnosed with everything from gas to acid reflux, gerd, pulled muscle, until my pee turned red & then they decided to check my gallbladder when it was too late, special diet could have prevented me from getting surgery if it had been caught, you do not have to be overweight or old to have gallstones
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm12345 View Post
i have had sharp, achy, prolonged pain in my lower, right abdomen area. It started in April 2010. In July 2010, I went to my gastroenterologist because I've had problems with Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the past. He was concerned with the pain so he scheduled a colonoscopy. The test showed nothing, everything looked good, so he scheduled a CT Scan with barium. Test results only showed a few small stones in my appendix but the appendix did not look infected. My area of pain is exactly where my appendix is and it is extremely tender to the touch. He scheduled me an appointment with a surgeon to discuss the chance that it could be my appendix. After discussion with the surgeon, we decided to take out the appendix and he would also check for any other problem areas while he was in there. My appendix was taken out in Aug 2010 and the lab result on my appendix came back and said early stage appendicitis. The surgeon did not see anything out of the ordinary while he was in there. Everything was fine for about 6 months, until the pain started coming back. I went back to the surgeon in Jan 2011 and he said he didn't know what it could be except maybe scar tissue. In Feb 2011 I went to my gynecologist for my routine yearly checkup. I told her about my pain and the appendicitis. She said it could possibly be endometriosis. She told me to stop taking the brown pills in my birth control each month and see if that helps. It is now Jan 2012 and I am still having the same intense pain I have had since April 2010. It hurts to stand for long periods of time, it is still tender to the touch, hurts to bend over, run or exercise, lay on my stomach for long periods, go the bathroom, vomit, cough, sneeze, etc. The pain even shoots through my back and down my groin at times. Basically it hurts me all the time and I am tired of it. No one can tell me what this is. I have considered a hernia, but there is no bulge that I can tell. It is time for my yearly exam with my gynecologist again in Feb and I am going to bring it up again and see what we can do to try and help the pain. Any suggestions??? Anything will be considered helpful.

Last edited by Myranda; 01-16-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
(female)

jrm12345 HB User

No they have not checked my gall bladder or bile ducts. I have had a urine test, which was probably 6 months ago or longer and everything came back normal. I have never noticed any coloration or pain with urination. Is there a specific test I should request or mention to test if it's the gall bladder or bile ducts?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Has anyone considered that it might be a spine issue? Some issues, particularly in the thoracic spine, can cause pain in the side and front.

You might see if you could get a MRI to rule out a spine issue.

Last edited by teteri66; 01-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
(female)

jrm12345 HB User

I went to my general physician a couple of weeks ago and she said that it might be scar tissue since its in the same location. She suggested having surgery to look and see and that she could refer me to a general surgeon. I told I did not want to have surgery unless I had to. I had my yearly exam with my gynecologist the next week and discussed it with her. She checked me for ovarian cysts and did not find anything. She suggest I go to a general surgeon to discuss the pains as well but she did not think it would scar tissue since its the same pain as before.

I do not think it is scar tissue either. It is the same exact pain, sometimes more intense than before, and is still sensitive to touch.

I met with the general surgeon yesterday and explained everything. She felt around in the area and said she did not feel any bulges or anything that felt like a concern. She doesnt think it is scar tissue either and I asked her about my back and if it could be anything back there causing the pain. She said it was unlikely. She asked if I was having back pains and I told her no. It only hurts in the area on the back behind the spot that hurts in the front.

She said there isnt a lot of options at this point since nothing is noticeable. She said we could do an MRI but it probably wouldnt show anything and they are expensive. I have already done a CT Scan and nothing showed up. She said it could be endometriosis deposits that are hidden but I just dont see how that could cause the intense pains I am having.

She wanted to look at the pictures the surgeon gave me when he took out my appendix to see if she could see anything that could have been missed. I dropped them off today and I have not heard back from her.

I am just so frustrated because I never get any answers and I feel like they think I am just making it up. This pain has been constant for 2 years and has been a lifestyle changer for me. I am ready to be normal again and I feel like it will never happen again.

Any advice or suggestions?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

You could have scar tissue from your appendectomy..scar tissue hurts and sometimes it hurts really bad.

I had carpel tunnel surgery and I went back to work way to soon..scar tissue built up underneath my first finger and the pain was horrific at times..once I had surgery to remove the scar tissue I've been fine.. please don't rule out scar tissue.

Others here have said to have you gall bladder checked..if you haven't then please do,

Good Luck and I hope you're feeling better soon

~Belle~

Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, please do this......to check for the gallbladder, change your eating habits for about a week or so, go on a strict low fat diet. Gall bladder pain can radiate all over the place around to your back and everywhere. CJ

Closed Thread