It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

JennDT HB User
Can i get my tonsillectomy in two days if I currently am sick?

I haven't been sick all year and now its the week of my surgery and I'm sick. I puked on Monday morning and now I'm just stuck with a bad cough and sinus congestion. The doctor said I should be fine as long as I don't have a fever. Do you know if they will still do the surgery and has the same thing happened to anyone else?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Can i get my tonsillectomy in two days if I currently am sick?

I don't know for sure, but I think if the patient is running a temp they will not operate. Is this day surgery? Maybe that would make a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

The only thing I can imagine is you coughing continuously and having to heal in the throat area. Unless the doc can give you a codeine based cough med to stop the coughing...or whatever else can help you not coughing. And an antibiotic to help prevent you getting a sinus infection.

Sudafed can help ease the sinus congestion.

Hope all goes smoothly. Keep us posted.

q

Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
(female)

JennDT HB User

So the day of the tonsillectomy, i was still congested but my cough seemed to ease up a little. They went through with the operation (which yes, was a day surgery) and It seemed as if my cold completely disappeared post surgery.

This morning, i woke up with a horrible cough, painful breathing and stiffness in my abdominal muscles. I've never had any kind of surgery before and I'm very paranoid in general, so this is worrying me.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
(female)

JennDT HB User

Yesterday, while going into surgery (day surgery) I was still congested, but my cough seemed to ease up. Post tonsillectomy I felt like my cold was gone. No congestion or coughing what-so-ever.

This morning, i wake up to a pretty bad cough, some pain when breathing and stiff abdominal muscles. I've never had any kind of surgery before and I tend to be a paranoid person in general, so this worries me. But it's also only the 1st day of recovery.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Well, good to know it's happened. Are you still in the hospital? and did you ask for a cough med from the doc?

Hope you feel better soon.
q

Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
(female)

JennDT HB User

Thankyouu! And no, i left after only 4 hours of being in the recovery room, so I didn't feel sick at the time.

Closed Thread

Tags
sick, tonsillectomy advice