It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
(female)

Jb99 HB User
Very scared

Hello, I broke my humerus in 3 places almost 4 weeks ago. According to the doctor I didn't need surgery. So he wrapped my arm in this stuff that get hard like Fiberglas, wrapped a gauze around it, and wrapped it again with an ace bandage. I can't lift my arm, my wrist, or can't move my fingers well. Dr. say I have nerve damage. So my question is, it's almost been a month, will I be able to use my arm again? I really starting to miss work and it scares me. I also have this wrist brace/splint that hurts my hand and arm when I have it on for more than three hours, it also seems like it brings the swelling back in my hand.. Can someone tell me anything about this??? I always been in good shape and health, and going threw something like this scares the hell out of me..And changes the way I see things in life now..

Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Very scared

Welcome to the boards!

Are you still in the cast? If you are out of it, has your doctor recommended Physical Therapy? If not, you might want to ask for a script for therapy. Aalot of times, PT can help the muscles and nerves to resume their normal support function. Anytime you have had a limb that isn't used, it will be difficult to get it back in shape once you start moving it again.

good luck and keep us posted...

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
Jb99 (07-16-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
Jb99 (07-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
(female)

Rose9988 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeaman29 View Post
Hello, I broke my humerus in 3 places almost 4 weeks ago. According to the doctor I didn't need surgery. So he wrapped my arm in this stuff that get hard like Fiberglas, wrapped a gauze around it, and wrapped it again with an ace bandage. I can't lift my arm, my wrist, or can't move my fingers well. Dr. say I have nerve damage. So my question is, it's almost been a month, will I be able to use my arm again? I really starting to miss work and it scares me. I also have this wrist brace/splint that hurts my hand and arm when I have it on for more than three hours, it also seems like it brings the swelling back in my hand.. Can someone tell me anything about this??? I always been in good shape and health, and going threw something like this scares the hell out of me..And changes the way I see things in life now..

Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
(female)

Rose9988 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeaman29 View Post
Yes it will get better...Shattered my wrist in 6 pieces 5 years ago...it just takes about 6 weeks to heal somewhat...ask him when you can start physical therapy asap....with their help you will be amazed the steady progress you will make...patience with healing is the hard part.. are you out of your cast yet?.sorry for your injury.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rose9988:
Jb99 (07-16-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rose9988 For This Useful Post:
Jb99 (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
(female)

Jb99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibake&pray View Post
Welcome to the boards!

Are you still in the cast? If you are out of it, has your doctor recommended Physical Therapy? If not, you might want to ask for a script for therapy. Aalot of times, PT can help the muscles and nerves to resume their normal support function. Anytime you have had a limb that isn't used, it will be difficult to get it back in shape once you start moving it again.

good luck and keep us posted...
Yes.. I'm still in the cast, it's scheduled to come off August 6, the doctor supposed to give me a brace to where I can take on and off in and out the shower...he mentioned PT but what make me scared even more, I have no insurance at this time but I'm hoping to have some by the 19 of July ...

Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
(female)

Jb99 HB User

Yes.. I'm still in the cast, it's scheduled to come off August 6, the doctor supposed to give me a brace to where I can take on and off in and out the shower...he mentioned PT but what make me scared even more, I have no insurance at this time but I'm hoping to have some by the 19 of July ...

Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
(female)

Jb99 HB User

I'm out my cast now, I've started therapy and I have insurance now..!!

Closed Thread