It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
(male)

allan1231 HB User
Post Acute Compartment Syndrome

In early March had another blood clot to my groin area. This was about the 12th one there in about 3 years. A few days later they could not figure out why I was in so much pain. Then, days later my surgeon realized I had compartment sysdrom and did a double fasciotomy on my leg. They then, over a period of a week, had to do 2 more surgeries to go in and debread the dead muscle that had turned grey. I was in that hospital about 5 weeks and then transfered to my own hospital here in town for therapy. I spent about 2 weeks trying to learn to walk with a walker. I am now able to walk with a cane. The trouble I am having is that I have seen posted in other places about patients getting up and running in about 5-7 weeks. Maybe mine is different because they had to cut the muscle away and they didnt catch it in the begining. My surgeron has told me I am doing great and that he is happy with where I am at. I guess they were thinking of cutting my leg off in order to save my life. All in all this has been the worst time of my life, and I am still living it.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Acute Compartment Syndrome

You have been thru a terrible time, and it is no wonder it is taking a long time to get your functioning back in leg. The blood clot itself can cause problems, but with multiple surgeries and losing some of the muscle tissue, it will take time, hard work and lots of patience. Has anyone ever figured out why you are getting all these blood clots? That needs to be evaluated by a hematologist if hasn't already been done. Physical therapy may help a great deal to build up the muscles that were damaged, and get you back to normal. I would try to continue PT as long as you can. I would say your progress is good for what you've been thru, as compartment syndrome is very serious and you are lucky to have your leg and only requiring a cane. It should continue getting better with time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
(male)

allan1231 HB User
Re: Acute Compartment Syndrome

I have been taking coumadin for the last couple of years for my blood clots. It didnt seem to make any difference so I am on Enoxaparin injections once a day. Hope this works better than the other med did. The area they keep having to operate in is like a mess of hamburger. Nothing but scare tissue all over.

Closed Thread