HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Open to All Other Health Topics (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/)
-   -   96.1 F Temp... What is this? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/911706-96-1-f-temp-what.html)

samsa135 07-27-2012 10:33 PM

96.1 F Temp... What is this?

Hello -

For the past week or so I have consistently had a temperature that has been on the lower end of normal. Now though, it is bordering 96 F every time that I take it. It wont go up now even if I have a full meal and am all bundled up. I physically feel cold as well. My hands and feet are not warm to the touch, and I cant seem to put on enough clothing to help alleviate it.
My weight and heart rate are within normal ranges as well. Although I have been dizzy and a little rundown lately, I am guessing that those symptoms are more separate and related to an Iron deficiency if anything.
I really don't know what this is or if it should be cause for concern. I know that some people "run cold," but this has not been the case for me historically (I am typically a 98.6 F girl).
If anyone knows what might be going on or if I should get this looked at, please let me know :)
Thank you!

Kaji 07-28-2012 10:35 AM

Re: 96.1 F Temp....What is this?

Dizziness and low body temperature can be related to poor diet/malnutrition/weight loss. If you're not eating properly or enough, your metabolism slows down, and your temperature drops. (Not saying you are, it's just one possibility) Another big cause is thyroid problems.

quincy 07-28-2012 11:32 AM

Ditto to the above suggestions.

But...if your temp is low, then spikes up...it could be ovulation as well.

Have you made any changes regarding your diet, such as cutting out carbs or protein?

What medications are you on?

You definitely should get checked out and tell the doctor about how you've been feeling so that the proper testing can be done.

q

janewhite1 07-28-2012 02:37 PM

Re: 96.1 F Temp.... What is this?

Are you using a digital thermometer? If so, the most likely explanation is thermometer malfunction. I understand that the mercury ones were toxic,
but the consumer-grade digital models that replaced them are so unreliable they're basically useless.

I once had one tell me my temperature was 94 degrees when I was perfectly healthy.

If you continue to feel under the weather, get checked out by a doctor. But don't put too much stock in what one single machine says about your health.

samsa135 07-29-2012 09:31 AM

Thanks guys :) I really appreciate the help with this.
I agree with the fact that the thermometer is sometimes unreliable, but I checked with three different ones (two oral and one an ear one for little kids) a couple different times, so I dont think that it is a malfunction.

When I was younger (15,16,17, 18) I had a really bad eating problem, so that was why I was sure to mention that my weight right now was normal. I'm not a three meal a day person anyways, but I have been eating meat and bread so Im not sure why it would be this low. It might be that I need to up the intake even more, but I guess I can cross that bridge later.

No medications either.
I might end up going in if it stays this way another week, but for now still functional, working, and full time student so its all good!
Thanks again.

ladybud 07-29-2012 09:33 AM

Re: 96.1 F Temp... What is this?

I would suggest you get your thyroid checked. Underactive thyroid gland will cause low temperatures and definitely a run down feeling. It can also cause low pressure which can cause dizziness.

kate63 08-25-2012 08:57 PM

Re: 96.1 F Temp... What is this?

I have had the same exact experience! Tried many different thermometers and tried them on other people and they were accurate My temp stayed between 96 and 97 for MONTHS!! I actually quit taking it and I still don't know why it happens.