It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
(male)

AlcoholicAnxiet HB User
Alcohol and Anxiety

I am an alcoholic. I quit drinking on June 17th - 7-weeks ago. My loss of appetite started two weeks before that date. Two weeks prior to the 17th, I set the date in my mind when I wanted to quit and enrolled in an intensive outpatient program. I was stressed and am stressed today. My stress is the result of quitting alcohol and financial worries that are very much real. That being said, my anxiety and stress have grown tremendously since quitting drinking. I have experienced a huge hypochondria stigma where I self diagnose every little ailment - ailments that are likely all tied to anxiety, stress and depression. My bowel habits changed three weeks ago and my doctor has me on Miralax once daily - - - and I convinced myself I have colon cancer. My doctor did extensive blood work and said that everything is fine and not to worry. I have had a loss of appetite and a feeling of nausea at times. I am now taking an acid reflux medicine and it has helped a little. Now, I am convinced I have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) - which grows worse under stress. I am seeing the doctor today about getting some anxiety meds. I am just so stressed and I am sure that is why I am feeling this way. It will get better. This will pass is what I am telling myself. Heck, I have only been sober for 7-weeks. That is the second longest time I have been sober since I was 14. I am now 36. I just need to relax - somehow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
Re: Alcohol and Anxiety

Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS on quitting drinking! It's going to make a huge difference to your future health and well-being. But it sounds like you've been self-medicating with alcohol, and now it's out of your system your anxiety is flaring up because it doesn't have the booze to numb it any more. The doc can give you pills for the anxiety, but that's just going to cover it up with legal medication. Is there any possibility that you could try therapy? A therapist can help you learn healthier ways to deal with your stress and anxiety.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kaji:
Otto370 (07-31-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, anxiety, cancer, depression, stress