It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
(male)

Hans35 HB User
How tall do you think I can become?

Hi, I just turned 18 some weeks ago. I'm around 5"8 now, (173-174 cm) My mom is 5"7 and dad is 5"6, though my moms dad was 6"1. Do you think there's any chance at all for me to become either 5"10 or even 6"?

Thanks alot :-)

Old 08-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

toughgal012 HB Usertoughgal012 HB Usertoughgal012 HB User
Re: How tall do you think I can become?

Hi Hans35, I think you're height right now is average and its not a bad thing. You may grow a couple more inches in the next few years, which would make you about 5'10. Our height is largely determined by our genectics. So you may grow a couple inches taller than either parent. You can also grow to be a couple inches less in heighth than your shortest parent. You may want to check with your doctor, he/she will give you an estimate of how tall you will grow. The only reason I wish I was taller is so I could reach the cupboards, lol. I hope you will be satisfied in however tall you grow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

People stop growing anywhere between 17 and 20 depending on how early they hit puberty. At 18 you should be pretty much your full height, but there isn't any way to tell for sure. You're an inch taller than your parents and that might be it.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
(male)

Hans35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughgal012 View Post
Hi Hans35, I think you're height right now is average and its not a bad thing. You may grow a couple more inches in the next few years, which would make you about 5'10. Our height is largely determined by our genectics. So you may grow a couple inches taller than either parent. You can also grow to be a couple inches less in heighth than your shortest parent. You may want to check with your doctor, he/she will give you an estimate of how tall you will grow. The only reason I wish I was taller is so I could reach the cupboards, lol. I hope you will be satisfied in however tall you grow.
Okay, thanks for your replies. It's probably hard to say because I'm a mix of a tall and short race.

And yeah, my height atm IS bothering me. It's just too short. Girls don't like it, and even 14 year olds look down on me.

Do you think there's ANY chance all that I'll be 6"? 5"10 is ok, but 6" would be great, literally.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

You are probably close to being "fully gorwn." Your family GP should be able to tell you if your growth plates have fused. You have areas of your legs that fuse when you have reached your adult height. Once they fuse-usually in late teens, you are done with your height growth. Every person is different as to when this happends. My youngest son was a senior in HS, my oldest didn't finish growing until college.

I am no expert, but I doubt that you will see 6'. You are probably as tall as you are going to be.. But remember, it's not the height of a person that is important...it's the person.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibake&pray View Post
.. But remember, it's not the height of a person that is important...it's the person.
Excellent point! I remember in JR High the basketball coach approached me and asked me to join the team. I said, "I don't know how to play!" and she replied, "Just stand there and hold up your arms!" That's when I realized I was tall.

When I graduated HS I was 5'7". When I graduated college I was 5'10". (still am!) I have no idea where that sudden growth spurt came from in 4 yrs.

My dad was 6'2" and mom is 5'4". (Made for a funny wedding picture!)
As was said, it's not the height that's important, it's the person.Besides, finding jeans that will fit these long legs and non-existent butt ain't easy.

Closed Thread