It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

ashleyh25 HB User
Unhappy Lump on my neck below ear

Hello, This is my first post and just needed an opinion. My Dr made me feel really stupid yesterday. I NEVER cry and yesterday I almost couldnt make it out the door before I let my tears out. I found a random lump on my neck below my ear a couple weeks ago. He told me a couple weeks ago to come back if it didnt go away so I did. I went in and they pretty much asked me "what are you concerned about?" "What do YOU think it is?" I just told them that I came in bc I was told to bc it is still there and wanted to make sure it wasnt cancerous. (I told this to the lady who was training in there office and then she went to get the dr)- He came in and said "Sooo you think you have cancer huh?" ANYWAYS for those of you who may know my main question is this. If its cancerous, is it going to feel like I literally have a rock under my skin? He said hes not worried about it and its not cancerous. He said if im concerned about it he can refer me to just get it removed. I asked him what else it could be and he said he wouldnt know with out having it removed.... ??? Just nothing made sense of my appointment and NOTHING came out of it. My feelings were really hurt bc of the way they treated me. They didnt even give me a clue as to what it could be or the cause. Its a visable pea sized lump (maybe little larger). I was a little concerned bc in my opionion its hard (not like a rock) but firm and does not move when i touch it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Lump on my neck below ear

You were absolutely not treated with respect there, and I would not go back. I would seek the opinion of another Dr and ask what that Dr thinks it is. There can be pea size cysts in the skin, or if it is a lymph node, it is more concerning. The lymph nodes in front of the big diagonal muscle in neck are usually less concerning than the ones behind the muscle. If it is larger than a grapefruit seed, and hard, it may need to come out for biopsy. In the meantime, your new Dr. should check all your other lymph node areas, your lungs, liver and spleen on exam, order a CBC, and possibly ultrasound that lump, unless it is superficial in the skin like a sebaceous cyst. Try to get some info from friends on a good Dr to see who is kind, thorough, and will take this seriously, as it may be serious, and you deserve to be treated with respect and not dismissed as a hysterical female worried over nothing. I would have cried too. Good luck, and don't let this go just because one Dr said it was nothing. It is something and you need answers.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
(female)

ashleyh25 HB User

Thank you very much for your reply. The first time I went in they sent me to a lab to check my blood and everything had came out normal.... :/

Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
(female)

luckymaggie HB User

HI ,talking about lumps i just got results of an xray i had 3 weks ago .i have a lump on the right hand side of my scalp it is hard dosent move and is painless .it turns out to be exostosis which is a bone on bone a begign tumour .hope this helps and yes i would change my doctor too.

The Following User Says Thank You to luckymaggie For This Useful Post:
ashleyh25 (08-10-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User

Hi Ashleyh25. I agree with ladybud. You absolutely did the right thing in seeing the doctor for this and in demanding answers. How dare he disrespect you for that. I've been in that position and I cried, too, but right there in the office. Yay for you, for not letting him see you cry. Find a new doctor and try again. It's probably nothing to worry about. But you need to know that for your own peace of mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to AuntNanc For This Useful Post:
ashleyh25 (08-11-2012)
Closed Thread