It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

DanceBunnehx HB User
Tonsillectomy?

Hi there,

I'm a 16 year old girl from the Uk. The past year I have been having problems with aching joints, tiredness and other symptoms. I have had loads of tests done and all they found was a vit d, phosphate and calcium dificiency so I am now taking medication for that. My doctor thinks I could possibly have ME but it has not been diagnosed yet.

I often suffer with sore throats, I get a least one a week but they usually only last for one or two days. I went to the doctors on July the 24th with a bad sore throat. The doctor had a look and she said I had a very nasty looking csse on tonsillitis on the right side. My temperature was also quite high so she gave me penicillin vk 250mg for 7 days and asked me to book an appointment for two weeks time so she could look at my throat again.

So I took the antibiotics and although it did look a little bit better it was still very sore and swollen. I decided to wait for my appointment which I had booked for the 7th August. I went to the appointment and told her it still hurt. She said it looked better but was still quite ulcerated so prescibed me corsodyl mouthwash to use twice a day to prevent it becoming infected again. She said I seemed really run down from the infection and I told her I had been a lot more tired and dizzy since I had been ill. I often feel very dizzy but it has been a lot worse since I had the tonsillitis.

Since then I have been using the corsodyl mouthwash twice a day. The soreness and other symptoms are not really improving, my tonsil is still swollen. When I woke up this morning my throat was even more painful and very itchy. I shone a light down my throat infront on the mirror a notice a white, ***** looking spot on the swollen tonsil. I'm guessing its back but I can't get to the doctors until monday now. I'm really getting fed up and I just want out to be quite honest. I would like to have my tonsil / tonsils removed but don't know if I am eligible to have it done. Had anyone else experienced this? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks ;xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy?

Hi. Sorry you're feeling so bad. I can relate in a way. I had ME, called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome here in the US. I never had the throat issues you're experiencing. But I did deal for quite some time with the aches, pains and extreme fatigue. The length of time it takes to recover differs with each person. Some recover pretty quickly. Others can take much longer. Your immediate issue would seem to be the throat infection and getting that under control, which could be taking longer because your immune system is under attack right now. Make sure your doctor keeps after the throat issue. The rest just takes time and patience. Try to stay as rested and stress free as possible. I'm not a doctor, but I doubt you would be a candidate for a tonsilectomy until you're recovered fully from your infection, and possibly until your immune system is recovered or they make a final diagnosis. Over the weekend, try drinking ice water and/or apply ice packs to that area of your neck to relieve some of the inflammation and pain. Here we have a prescription mouthwash called Magic Mouthwash, made up of Benedryl, Lidocaine and Maalox. You gargle with it and it immediately numbs the pain. Actually, it will numb your entire mouth! You might ask your doctor if that could be an option in treating the pain for you. Let me know how you're doing. Hang in there.

Last edited by AuntNanc; 08-11-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: omission

Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Only your doctor and your insurance company can tell you whether they will pay to have your tonsils out. So just ask. Sounds like you probably should have them out.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
(female)

DanceBunnehx HB User

Hi,

sorry i didnt post a reply sooner, been having problems with the computer.

I had a throat swab done at the doctors but the doctor didnt think the tonsillitis was back. The throat swab was fairly clear but i was still still had a terrible sore throat so went back and this time had another bloodtest. This also came back clear but i still have a horrid sore throat and feel pretty rough so I am going back to the doctors next week. At my last appointment the doctor did say that if it continues to persist i will probably be referred to an ENT surgeon.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
(female)

DanceBunnehx HB User

I have also lost 6lbs in four weeks even though I have had no intentions of losing weight and hardly been exercising due to being so tired. I have not felt like eating much as my throat has been so sore and it hurts a lot to swallow

Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
(female)

Cathy676 HB User

Your tonsils are suppose to keep bacteria germs etc away, but when they are bad they can actually hold that in your body rather then getting ride of it. Id advice staying on the antibotics have your tonsils removed and have a full screen done of your blood work. Do you have anxiety? ... with the sore throat your probable not eating as much or as healthy as you should thats probable why the weight lose.

Closed Thread

« Hi :) | A newbie »