It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
(male)

David543 HB User
Lightbulb A safe and strong combination of supplements!

Hello everyone! I recently became very interested in vitamins and nootropics as a way to stabilize and energize (Body, Mood and Mind) as naturally as possible. Below is a list of various supplements that I have purchased. I was hoping that I might get some solid information about whether any of these vitamins are contradictory or unsafe together for any reasons.

Just for some quick background, I am 22, male, 170 lbs, and new to taking care of my body and started working out a few months ago. I am getting in great shape mostly to feel better because I often struggle with depression and anxiety.

Vitamin B Complex - One a day
Vitamin C - 600mg /per day
Vitamin E - 400mg /per day
Phosphatidyl Serine - 300mg /per day
Huperzine A - 100 to 200 mcg /per day
L-Tyrosine - about 250mg /per day
Rhodiola - 340mg /per day
Ginkgo Biloba - 120 to 240mg /per day
Choline - 500mg /per day
Valerian Root Whole Herb - 500 to 750 mg - taken at night

I've read that some of these such as Huperzine and Phospatidyl Serine are similar are shouldn't be used congruently. Is this true?

So you know, I am not currently taking any these so don't freak out too much if any combinations are bad. Thanks for any info guys.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: A safe and strong combination of supplements!

I think it is great you are interested in taking care of yourself. However, you may want to do more research regarding vitamins.

Usually a good balanced diet provides all the body needs and can use.

Recent medical reports from reliable sources have come out stating that taking a lot of vitamins can/will reduce your life expectancy by 10 years.

Many foods are now fortified with vitamins and some people are overdosing due to taking vitamin supplements plus vitamins added to foods.

Have you had a physical and a check on vitamin deficiency? If not, it would be wise to do so. Vitamins are great if your body really needs them.

Many years ago a doctor told me vitamins only make expensive urine and empty your pocketbook. He also said we should get vitamins from foods rather than supplements.

I personally took many vitamins for many years and as of recently have been taken off of supplements except for a few that is needed. Doctors tell me now they had no way of knowing the results of taking vitamins over a long period of time, like 50 years. Now they know what happens after many years of taking vitamins.

I am not saying no one should take vitamins, I am saying they should only take vitamins they are deficient in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
(male)

David543 HB User

Thanks for the information, I was completely unaware of that. Although, after some research, it seems that the studies that show this are specifically for older women. And while they have some interesting points, it does not seem to be very solidified information. I am not saying it is misinformation, but there are just about as many counter-articles to that claim as there are articles supporting it.

What do you all think?

And if these studies are true, which of the supplements on my list might not be healthy (as well as incongruent with the others on the list)?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Research the subject at nih.gov. and see what they have. I don't remember name of sites I found most of the info.

Believe the vitamin article was in the newspapers and/or the Wall Street Journal in the last few months.

Our male internist has now stopped taking supplements and gets vitamins from food.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
(male)

lanmar HB User

Exercise is great and it helps the body produce the feel-good hormones and to metabolize food.

The body is equipped to balance itself from the eating of a variety of real foods. Processed food is not ever real food. It is has been altered, and is no longer in a natural balance.

Eat a good balanced diet of real food, and for the most part you won't need to add supplements. To take a bunch of supplments with no proven imbalance creates an imbalance right then. It's just not the thing to do.

Supplements cannot replace eating real food.

Last edited by lanmar; 08-13-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Closed Thread