It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
(female)

Kattak HB User
Mucus lump and Gurgle in throat after swallowing

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this because I dont know what the disorder is called. I'm a 23 year old female and for the past 2 years or so, Ive noticed that I always have a mucusy lump in the back of my throat. It seems as though it's dripping from my nose.

If I spit it out, it is usually a thick clear phlegm (sometimes it has a yellowish-green coloration), but it reforms in the back of my throat quickly.

If I swallow- it seems to go down but come back up within a few seconds... sometimes when it comes back up, it brings this gurgling noise/sensation with it. I can also feel little air bubbles travel up my throat. I dont get acid reflux or heartburn.

This is more annoying/embarassing than anything because it's sometimes pretty loud, and I think it causes bad breath. There is no pain, and I havent noticed any trouble eating or drinking. I notice it more at night when laying down, but it also happens quite a bit throughout the day.

Does anyone know what this is? Or can anyone suggest anything to help get rid of this mucusy lump?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Mucus lump and Gurgle in throat after swallowing

It could be that you have postnasal drip. It might be caused by a mild allergy, or something else.

Antihistamine or steroid nasal sprays, available by prescription, are one option to address it. Or you can just try rinsing your sinuses with saline twice a day. If simple measures don't work, you can go to an allergist or ENT to get tested and see if you do indeed have allergies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread