It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
(male)

330 HB User
Getting the gag reflex when I get excited or nervous

First off, I am a 18 year old male and have been dealing with this for as long as I can remember. (probably about 8-12 years) Whenever I get excited or nervous about something like going over to a friend's house or going to the store to get something I have been waiting to get, I get real gaggy. It usually starts when I wake up then it gets worse closer to whenever I do the activity. It use to be not as bad when it first started and seems to get worse as each year passes. Sometimes it is worse than other times.
What usually happens is that I start to feel like crap, then I start to gag. The worst part about this is trying to move when I gag like this. It really affects my ability to drive and walk. I do a lot of tree cutting and it is hard to work a 20 pound chainsaw or lift 40 pound logs.
It seems that the only thing that helps me out when I feel like this is to sip water very slowly. If I have to drive, its always one hand on the wheel, and one with a bottle of water. I know a lot of people say that their doctors say that it's just in their head...but it is not. How would it be in my head if whenever I do something that I want to do, I get gaggy out of the blue and not beable to do that thing?
I seen a few articals on this but they were from 2004-08. Anyone else like this? I know it is really messing up my life. NO one knows what it feels like unless it happens to you. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
(female)

Nimrod23 HB User
Re: Getting the gag reflex when I get excited or nervous

I'm glad im not the only one...i start gagging when i'm really nervous. I cant even talk sometimes without gag. I'm fine at home, work and some places where im comfortable, but if i have to go somewhere i dont know and meet other people, it can be a real problem for me.

I had my first driving lesson yesterday, and as soon as i met my instructor i felt the gag. I could barely get a word out. Luckily i had a bottle of water which kind of helped. If i have to speak loudly to someone at a party which has loud music, i cant do it. Bad smells trigger it too, i cant even wash dishes if it has food on it.

I really dont know what to do or how to get rid of it. I've tried explaining this to my family, but im not sure if they understand what i go through. I want help but dont know where to start

Closed Thread