It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

topkatnc HB User
Question Chronic pain medication change question

Good morning all .. I am a chronic pain patient .. back pain .. I have been on Morphine MS Contin 100mg three times a day , I have been on this for 4 years , also taking Hydrocodone for breakthrough pain .. I had to find a new pain clinic and my new doctor did not want me taking the Morphine .. He said that he would only give that to a cancer patient .. I have been doing chronic pain since Jan 1990 .. he put me on the Fentanyl Transdermal system patch 75 mcg/h .. changing the patch every 72 hours .. I started this last Monday .. and not doing to good .. my question is .. will I have withdrawals from the Morphine .. I ache all over and I don't seem to be getting any pain relief .. I'm not sure what I am suppose to do .. I would appreciate any help from anyone on this .. I have no one else to ask .. thank you so much and have a great day .

Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Chronic pain medication change question

don't ya just hate it when a 'new doc' messes up things that it sounds like were indeed working for you? been down that road myself, and of course it does suck. any actual real 'pain doc' who honestly feels that MS is ONLY for cancer patients, seriously, it may be a good idea to move on if things are truely non negotiable with this one. there are also many pain docs who feel that oxycontin should only be used for cancer patients too, and that OC IS my long acting med right now. have you ever been on oxycontin yourself before? just wondering since there just are a few other choices your doc could have made other than to place you onto one of the strongest of strong types of narcotics. not every patient actually has that luxury either of having what is supposed to be 72 hours of coverage actually last that long either. some will only get like 48 hours from what i have heard/read here? it really can vary depending upon alot of different factors.

i really do think in order for you to simply get the very best advice from many other people who have gone thru what you are, and also just being on fent at all, you REALLY do need to get down to the pain management forum here just a scroll on down to the "P" section. there are many very very knowledgable folks there that would be able to answer your particular questions, esp about the fent in that particular forum. tho i have never taken fent myself, sometimes depending upon the actual generic drug manu who has generated the exact "type' of fent patch you are on, there are some that simply do appear to work much better and longer than others too. and that effectiveness kinda goes along with MANY different types of narcotic generics too. the way that YOUR own individual bodys physiology just 'is'also can make a difference as to how well it breaks any med down too. but DO head on down there for the best possible advice here hon. it just seriously IS a really great pain forum where just about any question will get some good answers since most of us there are also in pain management too(i personally have been in PM since 2004, just never on fent patches). i DO wish you luck with this new doc and hope he can actually do right by you. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

topkatnc HB User

Thank you feelbad .. I didn't know about the pain management section P .. this is all new for me .. I had a fushion also and they had to remove the hardware .. that was back in 1989 and yes it's the pits when you have to go to a new dr and he changes everything .. thanks again and I hope to talk to you again .. sandy .

Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

no problem topkat. i, and MANY other swho have dealt with sooo many stupid and insane 'doc decisions and surgerys, really ARE here to try and help others who also need some help(i really could have used this place BEFORE my many surgerys occured, trust me there). and guidance thru alot of medical crap we all have to navigate thru at some point in our lives it seems. i actually have a plate and four screws that desperately need to come out, but the stupid NS who i saw, only because i KNOW she is simply one of the tops around here, refuses to 'do" anything on me right now mostly because i suffered very severe spinal cord damage with a surgery done right "into' my cord. so it is attacking the vert levels both above it and under it, lovely.

while that pain management section can help ALOT with just about any medication and pain doc/clinic type questions, there is also a spinal board way down in the "S" section too that deals with mostly the c spine areas and surgerys. and there is the back forum is for areas anywhere beneath that c spine like the T, L and S areas as well. just not too certain just what area/level your surgery was done at?

everything listed in all of the forums here is listed alphabetically, just so you know tc. they also recently added many more sperate forums here too that are much more condition specific. but the forums i listed above really should be able to help you. good luck, and i may see you in some of the forums myself. i hang out in those sp boards and pain management ones alot. just find the forum you need, then start asking the quations you need answered,K? FB

Closed Thread