It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
(male)

36rascal HB User
Mouse cleanup

Hi,
i'm new to this site and don't find hantavirus listed as a health topic.
In the process of getting an old station wagon out of the weeds on my property to get rid of it, I found it has been occupied by mice. I don't want to get sick, nor do I want anyone at the wrecking yard to get sick. I understand the virus is in the dust from mouse droppings and urine. One question I have is--after spraying with a bleach solution, can the virus still live after the dust dries out again? Also, I'm bound to raise some dust no matter what. What kind of mask must I use?
From what I've seen, I think i'll literally have to hose out the interior of the wagon to make it safe enough.
36rascal

Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Mouse cleanup

The very least that you can stir up any dust the better. I just read that wiping or mopping the surface with a bleach is the best. Do not sweep or vacuum. Wear protective gear, gloves, a respirator mask and a paper jumpsuit that all can be disposed of in a plastic bag immediately afterwards.

I hope that helps a bit...err on the side of caution!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
(male)

36rascal HB User

Good advice--thank you!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

They get this all the time at the wrecking yard. Let them handle it. It's not a safe job for you.

Closed Thread