It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
(male)

xTxGx HB User
Is it Really Unlikely I have Lung Cancer?

I am 20 years old I went to the hospital a month ago with chest pains and they did an x ray of the chest and an EKG, the hospital didn't admit me and the doctor told me everything seemed fine and that I could leave but yesterday I went to my family doctor for a checkup and he tells me that my x ray taken at the hospital had a little bit of shadow on the right side and I asked if it could possibly be cancer and he said that it's most likely nothing or nothing serious and that i need a CT scan just for extra precaution I asked him about the possibility of lung cancer and he asked me if I smoke which I don't but I didn't mention that I was pretty much raised around cigarette smoke is it still unlikely to be cancer? Ever since then I haven't been able to focus on anything and i have been an absolute wreck... Later that night I went to sleep and I woke up and my throat was kinda scratchy and when i coughed my gland hurt a little (i'm guessing from anxiety) so I went to the walk in clinic the doctor said my throat was a little red and my gland was a tad swollen It didn't really require antibiotics... I also told him about the Shadow on my Chest X-Ray and explained to him I was raised around smoke and he said cancer was still Highly Unlikely... I didn't mention that every few months i get pain in my shoulder blade... and throughout the day when I think about what can go wrong I feel pains in my arms and chest and shoulders..

The following user gives a hug of support to xTxGx:
ladylaura777 (09-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
(male)

Lasaints HB User
Re: Is it Really Unlikely I have Lung Cancer?

Do you have insurance? If you do get your family doctor to order the CT scan, if just to put your mind at ease. The symptoms you've mentioned about your pain, glands, sore throat, etc really don't mean anything. Not even close to a red flag. Relax man. If you loaded bags onto 747s for a year or two, and spent hours on the tarmak near the running engines, you would have a higher chance of getting cancer than you would if both your parents smoked during your entire childhood.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lasaints For This Useful Post:
xTxGx (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
(male)

xTxGx HB User

Yeah he is setting it up I am just waiting for them to call me and schedule it ... Btw also back in January I had a really bad... I'm not sure what but im thinking some kind of chest infection(at least I'm hoping) following a cold I was coughing bad and in controllable at times even had blood mixed with phlegm I never went to the doctor though(cuz I'm not a fan of going) the coughing lasted around a month it did get better though I am hoping that's not a bad sign…

Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
(male)

Lasaints HB User

Well coughing up blood is one of those red flags, lol. I'm still only pre-med, but from my own experience it sounds like you might have developed pneumonia back in January. Since it cleared up by itself, it might have been viral pneumonia. Lol my friend, I would certainly mention that within the first 2-3 sentences when talking to my doctor.

Last edited by Lasaints; 09-09-2012 at 11:52 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lasaints For This Useful Post:
xTxGx (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
(male)

xTxGx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasaints View Post
Well coughing up blood is one of those red flags, lol. I'm still only pre-med, but from my own experience it sounds like you might have developed pneumonia back in January. Since it cleared up by itself, it might have been viral pneumonia. Lol my friend, I would certainly mention that within the first 2-3 sentences when talking to my doctor.
I will Definitely do that next time I talk to him Ty for replying If it was caused by cancer or something would it have went away?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
(male)

Lasaints HB User

My pleasure xTx.

Well, I'm sure I could come up with an example of why it could theoretically go away by itself if you gave me enough time. However were talking very, very, very low probabilities that it would, had it been cancer.

Last edited by Lasaints; 09-09-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
(male)

xTxGx HB User

Okay thanks again for replying I guess I'll just have to wait for the ct scan and pray for a good outcome, I shoulda went to the doctor back in January but I was too scared I am always scared of hearing bad news I can honestly say I have never been this scared in my life I don't wanna be alone, I don't wanna eat, I feel like my life is over and I honestly blame myself…

Closed Thread

Tags
cancer, disease, hypochondriac