It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

marblecomp52 HB User
Am I a hypochondriac?

So I have had a constant obsession with the fact that I'm scared I have Sporadic Fatal Insomnia. I post on here all the time, but I can't seem to get this out of my head. I have had this worry in the past but my sleep always returned to normal. Now it isn't really getting any better. About 2 weeks ago I had some difficulty falling asleep. The next night I had no trouble falling asleep, but I couldn't stay asleep and I got up, and went back to bed, etc. through out the night. And this has happened for the last 2 weeks. Anyway, I have also noticed that when I'm just sitting my legs will twitch occasionally. It use to be my entire body but now it's mainly just my legs, which isn't as bad as it use to be. But my sweating has gone away, along with my rapid heart rate. My tremor has seem to get a lot better, but occasionally it still comes up, not nearly as bad as before. But my biggest concern is my legs, because I heard that can be the first symptom, when people just think it's RLS, when it's really the first symptom of SFI, and not just RLS.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Am I a hypochondriac?

Do you seem to have fixated on this particular ailment. It may stem from anxiety or stress or some other issue. I'd talk with a physician and see if testing alleviates your concerns or maybe some counseling and meds would do the trick. But I would talk with a medical professional.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

marblecomp52 HB User

I have had anxiety all my life, but anxiety is a symptom that can come with SFI. That's why I'm so scared.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Testing can resolve that question. I urge you to see a medical professional and determine what is going on and get proper meds for anxiety or sleep. If meds work, then it isn't SFI because drugs do not work on that condition.

And a hypochondriac generally goes from condition to condition. You are fixating on one in particular and need to resolve that one issue.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

When you see your Dr., please ask to have thyroid levels checked, as hyperthyroidism can cause both anxiety and insomnia. I agree with Titchou, you seem obsessed with this fear, and can't let it go, in spite of all the responses you have gotten from the board members. Time for professional help and counselling, as this seems to be taking over your life and making you miserable.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

marblecomp52 HB User

I just don't get it. I have been told that I don't have this by my doctor and my parents. But I can't let this go. But my question is, does it sound like I actually have this, or am I just worrying myself over nothing?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

From what I have read in your posts and online about SFI, you do not have it. But I am not a medical professional. I think you should listen to them and move forward with whatever treatment plan has been noted.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

marblecomp52 HB User

Like last night, I was able to fall asleep just fine at like 10:30, but I got up at 3, and then went back to bed and got up at 4, but I don't know if I fell back asleep or if I just was awake. It was kind of a blur. That's what's scaring me. And I told my doctor, but they really couldn't explain it to me. And I'm exhausted. Is there anything obvious about SFI that would indicate that someone has or doesn't have it?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

marblecomp52 HB User

Last night I actually had a beer, because I was hoping that maybe it would help. But I tried going to bed and I had major anxiety and it took my an hour and a half to fall asleep at around 11:30 but I ended up sleeping until 4:20 and going back to bed and getting up at 5:00. I tried falling back asleep but I couldn't and got out of bed at 6. Would I have been able to sleep at all or no?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

I am not a medical professional but a cursory reading of the symptoms and associated problems with SFI are not consistent with what you have stated that you are experiencing. I again urge you to seek medical treatment including therapy and whatever meds/treatment may be prescribed. I truly have nothing else to offer. Hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
(female)

Caryn64 HB User

Again you write about this. For as long you have wriiten about this you would have been dead by now. I watched a Doc on this just tonight and to have it you must have a family member that has had it. It is genetic,it is passed down from mother or father. Only 10 families in the world have had this. trust me you dont have it, IT is anxiety/stress. im a dweller as well i know what your going thru. YOU DO NOT HAVE IT!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Here's my blunt opinion in a nutshell. You DO NOT have SFI. Moreover, you have been advised numerous times to explore the possibilities of real and possible causes for your anxiety/insomnia, and I see no follow up with any of the advice. I for one, am withdrawing from your thread, as I feel you are "beating a dead horse", like beating your head against a wall of fear, anxiety, obsession, and you seem unwilling to try any of the suggestions already made by well meaning and experienced people. We cannot help you if you just want to perseverate about this and stay stuck in your situation. Reiterating the list of possible REAL causes for insomnia: sleep apnea, hyperthyroidism, generalized anxiety disorder, mania as part of bipolar disorder. There may be others, but ruling these out would be a good start, which takes professional medical consultation. A functional physician might also want to check a histidine level on you (a brain chemical). A sleep study, blood tests, and psych evaluation by a psychiatrist if the previous tests are normal would be advised. Please help yourself now.

Last edited by ladybud; 09-12-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo

Old 09-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

marblecomp52 HB User

I do apologize for my frequent posting and worry. I guess since my sleep hasn't returned to normal I think I have this. But I will stop posting as I have had plenty of thorough answers. Thank you and again I am very sorry.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

No need to apologize. We are here to help you. Please listen to your medical professionals and follow their treatment plans. We wish you the best.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

marblecomp52 HB User

Again, thank you for the posts. Just out of curiosity, would a sleep study by any chance see if I'm sleeping properly, or actually getting sleep? I'm just seeing if that is a possible way for a doctor to look at my sleep, that's all I need to know.

Closed Thread