It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

raquel225 HB User
Undiagnosed Illness

So this is kinda long but i am really desperate.

My original dx is Fibromyalgia, i dont agree with it because the symptoms just do not match. The most recent issue is listed

Last night i got home from teaching a disabilities workshop. I use a motorized wheelchair due to pain in my legs. However, the pain last night was excruciating in lower back and legs, also, i had this massive headache that felt like my head would explode, not a normal headache and no nausea accompanied this. This morning the pain was gone from my body except a little in my legs, also when i tried to stand up my legs wanted to give out. The pain in my head was still there and took 2400 MG of Ibuprofiin and 1,000 MG of Advil within 4 hours to get rid of it, the pressure in my head is still there and when i cough it runs right through to my head. Been chugging water all day.

last week i had an MRI and cannot view the results, unlike my other lab tests. It says that the final result is in but final result is locked and I have to review the final results with my doctor. This worries me now more than anything. I can list anything else you want to know to help because the doctors are at a loss, sometimes CBC's come out normal other times they vary.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Illness

A few questions for you- Was your MRI of the head or lower back? When your CBC varies, what shows up that isn't normal? You have too much disability and pain/weakness to be explained by fibromyalgia. I would guess something showed up on MRI, which is good in that you may have some answers and something may have been found that can be corrected! I would call your Dr. tomorrow to ask for MRI results, so you know what is happening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

raquel225 HB User

The MRI was of the Lower back.

Blood Work Results
Component Results
Component Your Value Standard Range Units
WBC Count 15.4 3.4 - 10 x10E9/L
Eosinophil Abs Ct 0.28 0 - 0.4 x10E9/L
Basophil Abs Count 0.15 0 - 0.1 x10E9/L
Hematocrit 50.0 41 - 53 PERCENT
Hemoglobin 16.6 13.6 - 17.5 g/dL
Lymphocyte Abs Cnt 2.55 0.9 - 2.9 x10E9/L
Monocyte Abs Count 1.66 0.1 - 0.6 x10E9/L
MCH 28.3 26 - 34 pg
MCHC 33.1 31 - 36 g/dL
MCV 85 78 - 98 fL
Neutrophil Absolute Count 10.70 1.8 - 6.8 x10E9/L
Platelet Count 301 140 - 450 x10E9/L
RBC Count 5.86 4.4 - 5.9 x10E12/L

Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

raquel225 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
A few questions for you- Was your MRI of the head or lower back? When your CBC varies, what shows up that isn't normal? You have too much disability and pain/weakness to be explained by fibromyalgia. I would guess something showed up on MRI, which is good in that you may have some answers and something may have been found that can be corrected! I would call your Dr. tomorrow to ask for MRI results, so you know what is happening.
Hi, Yes, i would tend to agree, sometimes the CBC comes back as normal although two prior ones my Triglycerides were 4 times the normal level cept i dont eat fatty foods very often and I do physical therapy every week to keep my legs from becomng atrophied due to electric wheelchair use. If i didnt use the wheelchair i wouldnt be able to go to school or anything.

Doctors are mostly at a loss, although this was the first time in ten years they have ordered an MRI and only because i switched hospitals/doctors. They have thrown every single possibly diagnosis at me other than the major ones. Although Fibromyalgia is major, is does not explain these latest symptoms at all. IMO if you dont know, you say you dont know, you dont put it in the patients head like a few doctors tried till they saw me curled up on their tables unable to move, but then all they wanted to do was dope me up on Morphine and Roxanol, granted it does relieve the pain, but even that didnt help last night at all.

I am going to be honest here, and yes the doctors know, I am openly Transgender and take hormones, M to F, and the estrogen could be the cause of the high triglycerides but they dont explain the extreme and head ready to explode and legs giving out. Also, I have told my doctors straight up, the I have a high tolerance for pain but this is bad, its like 100 butcher knives cutting into me, being stung by 1,000 killer bees, and then being thrown into fire. It is so bad, that sometime i just want to die, is how bad the pain is. Even saw a pain psychologist last week, who said "My god someone should have had you see me sooner so we can help you deal with this pain". DUH YA THINK

I Almost forgot, just before the onset of the pain and headache, this huge wave of coldness ran over me and I began to shake uncontrollable. My careprovider thought it was a seizure but it wasnt. Also, every two or three nights, my feet get very cold even with socks on and my feet begin to literally cramp up and curl, thats very painful but not as painful as last night and usually it passes after about an hour and a heatpad.

Last edited by raquel225; 09-09-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The one connection I think could be here, is that your WBC and red blood cell counts are high. The WBC could indicate an infection somewhere, and the red blood cell count can when too high, can cause serious headaches. This can be caused by the bone marrow producing too many cells. Is there any way, perhaps from an epidural steroid injection, that you could have developed an abcess in your spine, causing the pain, weakness in legs, high WBC and headaches from spinal fluid not being able to circulate? I know that is a long shot, not knowing what if any procedures you might have had. But something pressing on the spinal cord would certainly cause pain and weakness in legs and back, even a disc herniation can do that. But there must be an explanation for the high WBC. On Prednisone? That raises WBC, but 15000 is pretty high for Prednisone effect. Just thinking out loud. Let us know what you find out with results of MRI.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
(female)

raquel225 HB User

Hi Ladybug,

Thank you for your thoughts and help.

The problem is no procedures or tests were ever ordered until now. Doctors at CPMC just said, OH you have fibromyalgia and as the pain got worse and Phenenol patches didnt work or ibuprofin just kept upping my morphine, roxanol and Norco dosage. Sure those help with the pain, up till the other day when it was so bad nothing worked and the headache just finally went away today after another 2k MG of ibuprofin, still had a few shooting pains today that lasted 3-5 seconds each one a little longer on the left side of my head but not the forehead but nothing major today. But this is why i swithced over to Lyon Martin Healthcare and UCSF and finally someone is ordering tests to find out what is wrong rather than completely doping me up. They made me an emergency appointment for Friday morning since thats the soonest anyone can get me in with orders to go to ER via ambulance if this happens again, (YA RIGHT), i wont go. Only because everytime i go to ER they dope me up with more painkillers and send me home, they never do anything unless i am dead in front of them.

I am on prednisone now, but i wasnt at the time of the blood draw nor was i on it before then. And i am on tapered dosage 40mg per day for 1 week, then 30 mg per day for 1 week then 20 etc etc.

Dont worry, you not the only one thinking out-loud. The biggest things that bug my psychologically are the facts, CPMC never done tests to find out what was wrong just doped me up and the problem has only gotten worse instead of better. Then comes the question if they do find out whats wrong, could this have been fixed or made better my life if CPMC had done something. If they dont find anything, i don't know what i am going to do because something is seriously wrong and its not psychological. If it were just pain i would say ok maybe and go with it, but the loss of mobility, the head ready to explode/implode, shooting pain to the head, legs cramping and feet cramping/curling up, body going ice cold and shaking, my legs giving out-these are physical symptoms of the body telling me that something is wrong and needs fixed.

I try to stay as active as possible, unlike what CPMC wanted me to do which was stay in bed and never get out. I go to school with a major in psychology and double minor, counseling and Special Education(voc Rehab), i am President/Ambassador/Org Liaison for Disabled Students Association which has grown so much we are applying for 501C3 status, we already are not for profit and having banking ID, plus i got to physical therapy on my own at (formerly Golds Gym), the local one went independent (WOOHOO), my trainer is a certified physical therapist and she even says something is seriously wrong. When i got to physical therapy with her, she helps me to walk around, use a bike, use leg press machines, get my cardio up, I push myself more than she pushes me because i want to live (usualy want to live). I know that I probably will never be able to walk from Golden Gate Park to downtown again physically without help but damn it if i am not going to try.

Closed Thread