It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

jclaire627 HB User
confused and worried Dad

My daughter was recently diagnosed with myoclonic epilepsy. She underwent EEG, MRI, and etc.
The problem is that these episodes only occur while at mothers house or right after coming home from mothers.
I share joint custody with her mother and she actually lives with me the majority of the time, visiting her mom on weekends, holidays and aprt of summer vacation.
This whole problem came up and at first seemed directly related to a conflict that occured in Feb. 2012. When picking my daughter up for the weekend, her mom threatened my 16 year old stepson while we were out of town. Charges were pressed against her. My daughter came home at the end of the weekend saying that she has been dizzy and woke up this weekend because of shoulders and legs were shaking. There were 2 other incidents within the next couple of weeks right after picking her up from her moms-she was at dinner table and raised hands to shoulder height and started shaking them back and fourth. Another time she fell to the floor in a sitting postion, caught herslelf and immediately jumped back up(I didn't think much of this, until she said something about it a few days later).
Then it got quiet, from about mid March til the end of the school year, nothing.
She then went to stay with her mom and about a week later I started to get phone calls on a daily basis that she was gatting dizzy and falling down and "waking" up without knowing what had happened.
My question is_ has there been any known cases of parents causing their children to have seizures somehow?
her mother has made things up in the past to get attention or get out of certain situations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: confused and worried Dad

I think perhaps stress and improper sleep could be triggering these seizures. You mentioned they started after an upsetting incident with her Mom. I'm sure she's feeling uneasy and psychologically stressed, that coupled with not sleeping in her regular bed and possibly irregular sleep time could easily cause this issue to be exacerbated.

Maybe you could talk with her Mom about this and work something out. If it continues without help from the non custodial parent, then maybe an adjustment in overnight visitation might be in order. Take care

The Following User Says Thank You to rudiraven For This Useful Post:
jclaire627 (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
(female)

jclaire627 HB User

I have worried about munchausens in the past, just wondering if anyone has ever heard of such a thing..someone causing another person to have seizures.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

As I mentioned in my other post, stress and improper sleep habits could trigger seizures if your daughter is prone to them. I don't think Munchhausen's (by proxy) comes into play here unless you feel her Mom is doing something on purpose to cause seizures. Your daughter may be psychologically causing them because she is stressed at her mother's home and perhaps doesn't want to go there. You might want to talk with a counselor who specializes in childhood issues and get some advice. I wish you well

Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
(female)

jclaire627 HB User

Thanks for your response..
I do have a strong feeling that this could possibly be Munchausens by proxy and as I said, have had reason to worry in the past. Thought maybe someone could give me a little insight as to what to watch for with my daughter with possible Munchausens by proxy syndrome, if there any munchausens by proxy cases that involve seizures. I have done much research and still am at a loss for why this would occur so much more often at her mom's. Perhaps, it is improper sleep. But, after years of dealing with her own symptoms of Munchausens to gain attention for herself, it is very concerning to me when my daughter pretty much only exhibits these seizures at her moms house on a regular basis.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

In your first post you stated that your daughter was diagnosed with myoclonic epilepsy. Since you have a medical diagnosis, I doubt that her mother is making up the illness, however, she could be exaggerating the frequency and severity of the seizures. Have you witnessed any of the seizures? You might want to speak with the doctor that did the diagnosis and get that input.

Closed Thread