It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
(male)

Silvia046 HB User
Help!!! Cause of Bad Breath?

Hi, this is my first post... please excuse me if I do anything wrong (hopefully not).

I've been reading some of the posts and I'm so glad that I'm not the only one on earth with this horrid problem.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here because I'm pretty lost on this matter.

From around primary school (I'm in my late teens now) people have been telling me that my breath smells. Up until around 2 years ago, I passed it off as a '1 off' thing... you know, peoples' breath can smell from time to time, but I realized that it is a constant problem and I really can't find the cause. I brush 2-3 times a day, floss once, so it's not my poor hygiene (which is what most people think).

I asked people but they can't really describe what my breath smells like (but it's bad). I've done the lick test and my saliva does smell... it smells kinda like... sour... it's hard to describe. I can taste my morning breath though. It's pretty bad.

I have gone to the dentist. Everything is healthy.

I went to the ENT, turns out my sinuses weren't draining properly and as a result, I was getting sinus headaches in the morning. I also had retention cysts growing in my Maxillary and Ethmoid sinuses, but the CT didn't show an infection. I did a Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (Ethmoidectomy and Antrostomy) to help with my sinus drainage. I'm 3 weeks into recovery and nothing has improved (breath wise), not even the sinus headaches (although I feel like they might be getting better, there isn't really a significant difference). I may have post nasal drip (I feel like I'm swallowing something when I swallow my saliva), but only rarely can I see something (mucus) at the back of my mouth. No heartburn. No allergies (tested... cost me so much...), just bad breath....

I'm not sure if this will make a difference but I will also list all the other health related problems I have... 1. Whenever i play sports, I ALWAYS feel like vomiting. I'm almost certain it's not that I'm unfit, it's probably linked to something. 2. I seem to produce a lot of oil naturally (especially on my face) like my face almost shines in the sunlight. I wash my face 3 times a day because of this.

PLEASE!!! if anyone can suggest me what may possibly be causing this and help me find a cure I'll be so happy. I have been reading the other bad breath threads but I don't really have any symptoms like post nasal drip or heartburn or any significant pain. I'm sure that other people are in a similar situation and understand the pain of having to sacrifice your social life because of this problem.

Sorry about the long post. I got carried away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
Re: Help!!! Cause of Bad Breath?

Have you researched tonsil stones? I know they can cause bad breath. Most people don't even know they have them. Research them and see if they might be the cause. You can dislodge them yourself most times, but a surgery can help prevent them. I've luckily gotten to the point that I can now feel them so I remove them as soon as they develop.
Good luck! Please post back and let me know how it goes!!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

toughgal012 HB Usertoughgal012 HB Usertoughgal012 HB User

Hi Silvia046, I think we all have bad breath from time to time. Go to your dentist for a rountine cleaning and get the gums examined. Perhaps you have a delicate disgestive system and it can result in dry mouth or bad breath. In the mean time, chew gum, mints, and rinse your mouth at twice a day with mouth wash. You should find your bad breath clears and you will be ready to face the day.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Do you brush your tongue, gums, cheeks and upper palate?
Invest in a tongue scraper after you brush your teeth/mouth.
Change your toothbrush once a month.

Sometimes certain toothpates can influence mouth odour.
Biotene has good products.

Do you have your tonsils?

q

Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
(female)

jackie446 HB User

When I was a young girl I had tonsil stones and I'd cough them up and out. A few years later I had to have my tonsils removed,so no more stones.I've always strived to maintain good oral hygiene by flossing (not with a pic) then my friend said to get the water pic, it gently removes food stuck in the crevices of your teeth especially way back there where it's hard to reach. But I still floss with my hands. I always do that before I go to bed. And scrape my tongue, cheeks, palate. Dentist told me cinnamon gum and tooth paste is good for bad breath, remember Lavoris? I gargle wthat it has cinnamon flavor. If you havent been to the dentist for awhile like me (yrs) go! ASAP for X-rays & exam I need 3-6 DEEP cleaning the first yr then 2 reg cleanings a yr plus I have gum disease. Drink water as much as is humanly possible evryday to keep your mouth moist, cut back on sugar, brush your teeth right after you drink anything acidic ie; orange, pineapple, grapefruit etc. You see, I took care of my teeth until I couldnt afford to go to the dentist anymore I tried the best I could, flossing, using lavoris, mints, gum, and it still wasnt enuf so I downsized I found a smaller house, bought dental insurance, now I go to the dentist. It was the DEEP cleanings that was needed and attention to my poor gums that lead to my bad breath. Nothing that I did prior could take away my bad breath bcuz i hant seen a dentist for so long

Last edited by jackie446; 09-17-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo errors

Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
(female)

jackie446 HB User

Ok Sylvia I understand now, you are a teen, my grandson is a teen (16) but U r older he does suffer from bad breath for quite some time now,he goes to the dentist regularly has good checkups, he has a girlfriend, I told him what I did in the past when my teeth and gums were in good shape/ The cinnamon mints ULTRA BURST, CLOSEUP tooth paste, always have water on you keeping your mouth moist along with floss (that's key) you must make this a habit right after you eat! I cant stress this enuf. The bacteria left behind after u eat multiplies so fast, so floss, then drink your water, then stick a piece of ur sugarless cinnamon gum in. He does this and he notices the difference! and so does his girlfriend!!! His father has the same problem, it may be hereditary. My daughter does not have this problem. She is just 34. So, if you have to, start a savings account just for your teeth, they are very precious AND vital to your overall health. I'll talk to my grandson and get an update to see how his breath is doing Lol and get back with you Sylvia

Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
(male)

Silvia046 HB User

Hello everybody and thank you for your kind replies.

I brush my tongue everytime I brush my teeth (twice/3 times a day) and generally my tongue is pink with a little white towards the back. I also floss before bed. It could be digestive/stomach related because my mouth does tend to dry up, especially when I'm hungry.

I do have weird tonsils (they have craters and holes in them) and sometimes in these holes I can see a bit of white stuff. I pick them out from time to time but they're not hard (like the name tonsil STONES may suggest), but they do kind of smell. Not awful, just not nice. I was aware of this and I try pick them out whenever I notice them so that they don't build up. It's also painful to pick them out because I have to stretch the skin around the tonsils to make the hole bigger so I can reach them. I can generally only see really really small amounts of this stuff and I pick them out whenever.

Could there be more of this but I just can't see them (like hidden somehow/where)? If so could you suggest some ways to clean my tonsils.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Since you have confirmed seeing white bits in your tonsils, i can almost guarantee that tonsil stone ARE the cause of your bad breath. And Yes! There can be more deep in the crevices. The like to hide deep in there. And tonsil stones don't necessarily have to be "hard". They are usually easily broken up, and for a lack of a better work are usually squishy for me. More like a cooked grain of rice when you break it up it isn't hard but can kinda break apart easily. I have heard of using a water pik on them, but it didn't work well for me. Your best bet is to research them to find out the best way to remove them for you. And, I would see an ENT specifically for this problem. I know they can do some sort of laser surgery to help "close" the holes the stones get stuck in!
Good luck!

Last edited by Whynowthis; 09-19-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
(female)

jackie446 HB User

It's because you have tonsils. I wouldnt try to pick them out, you wouldnt want to make a tear in ur tongue and risk infection with the bacteria. I remember coughing them up. Do you go to the Dentist? If you dont, U should go, if U cant afford it, then go to social services and see if you might qualify for dental insurance, I think up until ur 20, but give them a call at least or U could go online to see if U qualify. I had my tonsils removed, so I never had to deal with those stones anymore. I remember them though, I squished one in my hand and then smelled it and it smelled like bad breath, I said ewww Lol and washed my hands. I never even told anyone about that until now ha ha Ur special I just shared that with you!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
(male)

Silvia046 HB User

Hi, me again.

First of all, thank you everyone who replied.

I have been doing research on cleaning the tonsils and trying stuff out. First of all, I poked my tonsils with a cotton tip to push out some stones, not much luck. Then i tried flushing my tonsils with a disposable syringe (the ones without a needle on the tip). I ended up drinking a tonne of water, with no success. I read about flushing the tonsils with a waterpik, but I don't really know how that will go because essentially I think it's the same idea as the syringe, just one's manual... just seems like I'll be wasting money so it'll probably be one of the last things I'll try...

What are your thoughts guys/girls?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
(male)

Silvia046 HB User

Ok, it's been nearly a week since I started this whole tonsil cleaning ordeal and I can say I've began seeing some results.

I'm still flushing my tonsils with a disposable syringe and gargling with salt, (with not much luck) but last night while I was flushing, I saw some bits come out from nowhere. I kept flushing and saw some more coming out (was doing this over a plugged sink so I can catch whatever comes out), this surprised me as I checked the holes in my tonsils but they seemed clear. The bits that came out were a lot more yellow than the ones I see lodged in the tonsil holes and they seemed to be coming out of my left tonsils (which makes sense because I noticed that I almost always chew with my left side only). I tried the same thing tonight, but not much luck. Still trying to find the exact spot they're hiding.

Does the yellowness of these stones mean that they've been there for a long time and does anyone have any other suggestions on how to clean my tonsils? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a waterpik?

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
(female)

gettheweightoff HB User

My son is 19 and I noticed his horrible breath around 6 or 7. It reminds me off model airplane glue of all things!!
He DOES NOT brush regularly at all, claims his teeth are too sensitive, etc.
Everytime I have mentioned it to a dentist, they only say they don't know, some people's breath is just bad so that was no help, LOL.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
(female)

IntMed HB User

If sinusitis is the cause of your foul breath, you should try to avoid mucus forming foods like dairy products. This type of food enhances the mucus in the body, you should also stay away from foods with high sugars.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #14
(female)

IntMed HB User

If sinusitis is the cause of your foul breath, you should try to avoid mucus forming foods like dairy products. This type of food enhances the mucus in the body, you should also stay away from foods with high sugars.
----------------------------------------
Internal Medicine

Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User

Hi Silvia,

I have had tonsil stones, soft stones these are though the name suggests otherwise ;-) The "candid mouth paint" helps get rid of these quite a bit if it is used for gargling. 10 drops in 30 ml water was what I was given. Your pharmacy might carry this but I do not know whether you'll need a prescription.

Sometimes bad breath is caused by the stomach. Have you got acid reflux / gastritis or ibs type issues at all? You could try something if you are not allergic to it. My husband tried it and it has worked like 75% successfully. Take a tea spoon full of sesame seeds and chew it AFTER you have flossed / brushed and immediately before going to sleep. Swallow what you have chewed and DO NOT wash your mouth afterwards. Just sleep with it. This is not sugary stuff so I haven't known it to cause issues with the teeth. Basically the LAST thing to have gone down to the stomach before sleeping but AFTER brushing has to be the sesame seeds. Refrain from drinking water afterwards else it'll wash everything away. The sesame seeds helps deal with the bad saliva we swallow while sleeping. That will consequently help reduce the bad breath. You will however need to do this for a few days to see real results.

Wishing you well...

Last edited by Gugulimo; 10-06-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
bad breath