It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
(male)

allan1231 HB User
Angry Acute compartment syndrome

I had a blood clot in my right groin and then a few days after that I go acute compartment syndrome. This all happened in March of this year. I just now received all the medical files about what all they did. The thing is, I was in this hospital for about 5 weeks and I don't remember a thing about it. My surgeon says it is probable for the best because it was hell and touch and go for awhile. It is now September and I still have terrible pain there in my leg and also my foot. I guess after the initial surgery for compartment syndrome, they had to go back in 3 more time to remove dead muscle that was grey and not funtioning. My leg is healed as good as it is going to get. Still a big gash about 7 inches long on one side. That side must be where they took all the muscle out. My vascular surgeon who did all the surgeries say that he is amazed at how good I am doing. There was first thoughts of me being in a wheelchair, the maybe a walker but that was about the best he hoped for. I am now walking with a cane. All the Dr.'s I have seen, Family Dr., Surgeon, Pain Managment Dr., all say I should be lucky I still have my leg. Somehow, I just don't feel lucky. Beeing in constant pain and having to walk with a cane just does not make me feel lucky. I have had about 10-12 blood clots over the last 3 years all in the same area, the right groin. Now this to my right leg. It is so hard to want to keep on going. Just feel like life has thrown me a curve and I can not hit it and never will. Pain Managment Dr. put me back on Fentanyl 25 patches to try and help with the pain. he said there is not much else he can do because I am on blood thinners. I am 54 years old and feel like my life is over now. Maybe it should be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
(male)

allan1231 HB User
Post Re: Acute compartment syndrome

Yesterday, I saw a Pain Managment Dr. and he went over everything in my files. He said that I was lucky to still have my leg. I have heard that from many Dr.'s but it still doesn't make me feel any better. The Pain Managment Dr. said that he could only give me medication because I was on blood thinners. He started me on Fentanyl 25 and also Gabapentin for the nerve pain. Guess I will just have to wait and see if it helps out.

Closed Thread

Tags
blood clots, compartment syndrome, pain managment