It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
(male)

reaper5294 HB User
Muscle spasms in the morning

I am having muscle spasms in the morning immediately after waking up. I am epileptic, but have not had a seizure in years. It doesn't happen every morning, but they are severe. I am prone to throwing anything I may be holding, and my legs randomly collapse, but caffeinated beverages such as coffee are able to stop the spasms. It has been happening for about a year. I have not had any head trauma, or serious illnesses. Accompanying the spasms are memory loss, but I know it is not a seizure because I am able to feel when I am about to have one, and I am not receiving such warning signs. Any help offered would be appreciated. I am looking for what this may be, and possible non-prescription solutions. NOTHING HABIT-FORMING!!! I thank you in advance for your help.

The following user gives a hug of support to reaper5294:
Phoenix (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Muscle spasms in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper5294 View Post
I am having muscle spasms in the morning immediately after waking up. I am epileptic, but have not had a seizure in years. It doesn't happen every morning, but they are severe. I am prone to throwing anything I may be holding, and my legs randomly collapse, but caffeinated beverages such as coffee are able to stop the spasms. It has been happening for about a year. I have not had any head trauma, or serious illnesses. Accompanying the spasms are memory loss, but I know it is not a seizure because I am able to feel when I am about to have one, and I am not receiving such warning signs. Any help offered would be appreciated. I am looking for what this may be, and possible non-prescription solutions. NOTHING HABIT-FORMING!!! I thank you in advance for your help.
Reaper 5294,

Several medical conditions mimic mini seizures, which could require immediate medical attention. These mini-seizures may come from an underlying disease that needs treatment. Untreated mini seizures have the potential to cause more damage and become full-blown epilepsy.

I would discuss this with your treating physician ASAP.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 09-24-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: word correction

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Reaper,

I think since you have been diagnosed with epilepsy in the past, it would be best to get in touch with your doctors and let them know this is happening. It seems that it certainly could be related. Are you taking any epilepsy meds?

Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Please talk to your epilepsy doctor about these 'spasms'. There's more than one 'type' of epileptic seizure, and you might be having one that's just a bit different to what you remember from your past. Lots of people get muscle spasms, but they do NOT cause memory loss.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User

I agree that you should get into contact with your doctors to see if you need any change in treatment or maybe more tests to see what is occuring now (bloodwork, an EEG, MRI, etc?). It could be an imbalance in electrolytes or something similar which would not require any habit-forming treatment, so do not be worried to go to the doctor. It is probably related to your epilepsy whatever it is, and as Pheonix mentioned it is important to get it figured out before any permanent damage is done.

Closed Thread