It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User
Sick and hopeless.

Hi. I'm a 21-year-old female who has been very sick for over five months. Doctors are completely clueless about what could be wrong with me and I just need to know if anyone has any idea what this could be or has gone through something similar...

I've always been extremely healthy until April of this year and everything started to go downhill. It started by having little spells of feeling flushed, dizzy, and a little nauseous. I'd go lay down for a little while and I'd usually be fine. Then at the end of April I got what I thought was a virus, felt better after a week and then started having the spells of feeling bad again. In the middle of May, I came down with the stomach flu (I thought that was it at the time) and it just wouldn't go away. Every since then I've dealt with lots of stomach/digestive issues... for a while I would wake up feeling incredibly nauseous and throw up every single morning. That lasted about a month and finally it slowed down. Right now it probably happens every couple of weeks but I feel queasy often and my appetite definitely isn't what it used to be. I've also had some bowel issues... even when I thought I had the stomach flu I never really had diarrhea, but I get constipated very easily and pretty much every morning I get a stomach ache and have an urgent need to use the bathroom. I've also had LOTS of gas, to the point where I feel like I can't stop belching.

While the digestive problems have been awful they're not the only thing I'm dealing with. There are a lot of times when I feel like I'm going to pass out, but I never actually do. I get dizzy a lot (not bad like the room is spinning, my head just feels a little off). I've also gotten spells where I feel like I can't breathe, and spells where I feel like my brain is about to shut down.

I seem to have had an increase in hair loss, and my skin appears to be thinner (either that or my veins are standing out more, because the veins all over my body look much darker than they used to). I have tiny red dots on my skin that don't hurt or itch, they just look like I've been poked with a needle (I think they're petechiae but whenever I look them up I see people with rash-like clusters of them and mine don't look like that at all). I also occasionally have a slight feeling of weakness/numbness on the left side of my body, but I'm thinking it could be either anxiety or just the way I'm laying/sitting.

I've also had frequent UTI symptoms... yesterday I went to a health clinic for what I thought was a UTI. In the office they looked at my urine and said I had a bad one but then I got a call today saying the culture was negative. I don't know if that means I don't actually have an infection or what.

Now for all the things I've been tested for... I've had blood tests for autoimmune disease, inflammation, and lyme disease. I've had a CBC and CBC with differential, my thyroid has been checked and I've been checked for anemia. All of my vitamin levels are in the normal range. I've had my blood sugar checked and it's usually about 103-108 a few hours after eating a small amount of food. I had an ultrasound done on my gallbladder and it revealed nothing.

So as of now, I'm at a loss. The only thing I can possibly even think of is mold exposure. I moved into an apartment in December and felt fine until the weather started getting warm, and I thought it might have something to do with my air conditioner. My boyfriend looked inside and said it looked like it had tons of black mold growing on dust in the vent. My bed is RIGHT below the A/C and for a while it was blowing black stuff onto the side I sleep on. When I noticed that I moved my bed. I know mold usually doesn't affect people that badly but when I started getting sick I stayed in the room pretty much 24/7 with the A/C always on. I decided to stay at my dad's for a while and I've been here for a month and a half. I might feel a LITTLE better as a whole but I've still been getting sick.

The weird thing is, some days I almost feel "normal" (although never back to where I was before). I get optimistic and think I'm better, then bam! The symptoms are back. I really need help with this... it's ruining my life. I'm 21 and this shouldn't be happening. All I can do is sit around and envy people who are healthy and happy. I feel like there is no hope for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User
Re: Sick and hopeless.

Anyone? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by lindsay0891; 09-22-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
(male)

gnb HB User

You were tested for Lyme disease but there are a lot of other viruses, bacteria or parasites you could have caught.
I know people who were exposed to mold who had to throw away all of their clothes because they were covered with spores. I would think that if you were inhaling mold spores you would suffer from respiratory symptoms the most (doesn't sound like you are). I would try to find an alternative medicine doctor who can really take their time with you. I would get a stool test, maybe you have a parasite. I would get more blood tests that test for a lot more than just Lyme disease. You might want to change your diet, try eating very simply, just veggies, chicken, turkey, healthy oils (olive, sunflower, coconut, sesame, safflower), brown rice, maybe some almonds, sunflower seeds, no wheat, dairy, sweets, fried food, too much fruit, any junk food. I don't know where you live but I would go to a health food store and talk to those people. There are A LOT of tests that you haven't had done and a lot of things you can do.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User

Thanks. I was thinking there's a possibility of a parasite too but I'm not sure. I'm going to try a natural parasite cleanse to see what happens... it can't hurt, right?
With the mold thing, I don't really have respiratory symptoms but my boyfriend does. I've never really been one to get the typical sneezing, runny nose, etc allergies. I think I might have the toxins in my body even if they didn't cause a respiratory reaction.

I'm also still wondering about female problems such as endometriosis. My mom had it and she had a lot of gas but none of the other symptoms I've had... I have a transvaginal ultrasound on Tuesday so maybe that will reveal something.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
(male)

gnb HB User

I would definitely get a stool test that tests for many different parasites. You might be able to just do it at home. Not sure if you have insurance or if it's even covered. If you get the results back and they show something then you can go to your doctor to find out how to kill whatever might be there. I would try to find a doctor in your area that orders these tests. Perhaps you could check with the companies themselves to see if there are any doctors ordering these tests in your area. You could also go to a health food store or supplement store and just talk to the workers and see if they have any tips.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User

Thanks. Unfortunately I'm in a rural area and it's pretty tough to find a good doctor... the only good ones aren't accepting new patients. Also, there aren't any health food/supplement stores where I live and I'm not feeling up to traveling.

Today instead of the GI issues I'm having some heart palpitations, breathlessness, and I've had no appetite. Yesterday was the same. I'm hoping the palpitations were just from my period; that happened to me even before I was sick.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User

Last night I was getting some bad stomach pains and also felt like I was having a heart attack... I think I had gas that was making my esophagus contract near my chest or something. Today I still feel sick to my stomach and also lightheaded, tired, and depressed. I don't know what to do about this, I feel so hopeless.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

Hi Lindsay:

You need to get yourself to a doctor even if it means enlisting help from a friend or family member. A homepathic doctor or a naturopath can help you with a cleanse. When doing a cleanse you need to be careful because if you do have a lot of toxins in your body and you do it too aggressively, you could end up in the hospital. Have you traveled anywhere in the past year? Doctors here usually do one sample of your waste to see if you have parasites, but that can come up negative. If you overweight that can cause many of the symptoms you are having, such as feeling like you're having a heart attack when it could be acid reflux or indigestion.
Exercise is a natural curative. If you are too dizzy, then wait til you feel a little better and take some one with you and go for a walk everyday. Make sure that your bowels are moving everyday, because chronic constipation can cause a lot of problems. Imagine rotting material just sitting in your stomach fermenting. That can cause a variety of symptoms. So its necessary to avoid certain foods. Drinking a lot of water also helps flush your system of toxins.
Many people have to move from their homes due to mold exposure. If not possible to remove all traces of mold, you may have to move or hire professionals to remove all mold as this is extremely dangerous to breathe. It can cause dizziness, an overall feeling of not feeling well, fever, and problems breathing. If this is the case you should go to the hospital and get a chest xray.
Don't give up, it will get better if you keep trying to search for answers.
Best wishes, K.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I went to a walk-in internal medicine clinic, they pretty much told me they didn't know what it was but it was probably anxiety. They made me feel kind of stupid because they kept saying "How do you know it's not anxiety?" But I think they were afraid to look too far into it because I didn't bring copies of my labs, so I'm going to bring them and try again as soon as I can.
I have been feeling a bit better for several days now. I think I could have parasites or candida overgrowth and I've been using the bathroom a lot every day when I wake up so I think I might be getting the toxins out of my body. I've been taking some anti-parasite, anti-fungal, and anti-yeast supplements as well as a colon cleanser.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User

I am very glad you are feeling a bit better Lindsay. It is nasty to feel sick and have the doctors just shake their heads and say they don't know. When I first read you're post the first thing that popped into my head anxiety, panic attacks. Anxiety can cause so many symptoms of something being really wrong. The dizzyness is high on the list. So are stomach issues, palpatations, etc. I should know. I have suffered many years from anxiety and before we all knew what it was...it was hell for me. I have been on medication since and I still have it but very very milder. Keep ruling out things you are sure it is not and get to the doctors. Blood work always goes out good from anxiety. Look up anxiety on the internet and 'Ill bet you have half a dozen symptoms. Keep on feeling better!!! Linda

Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi, I'd read up up on gluten intolerance or at least go on a gluten-free diet for a while. It can cause a lot of your symptoms, weird I know. just check it out. Cathy

Old 10-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User

Yeah, I definitely think anxiety makes my problems a lot worse if it's not causing the whole thing! I've had anxiety for a while and it's never made me feel like this, though... I remember a couple years ago I had horrible roommates and was overloaded with school and work and I stayed so stressed... I was losing my hair and I was nauseous a lot but I still felt good most of the time, and when I'd go home on the weekends I didn't feel bad. But then again health anxiety is different since you can't escape your body.
I take hydroxyzine to manage anxiety but I think I might need a higher dose. Honestly it's one of the only anxiety meds I'm willing to take since it's very safe and not addictive. The doctor I saw most recently wanted to put me on Buspar and said it would last longer... well I looked it up and it said it has to be taken a few times a day too, and it can actually backfire and cause worse panic attacks! Now, they should know you can't tell someone with anxiety that a medication might make them feel worse, because that just guarantees it's going to.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Arrowroot HB User

I think you should reconsider Lyme disease as a possible cause of your symptoms and obtain an actual copy of your Lyme test results. Lyme is a highly controversial diagnosis, few doctors know how to interpret the test results correctly, and Lyme disease should always be a clinical diagnosis because the Western Blot test alone is very inadequate for diagnostic purposes.
I wish you the best.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-23-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User

Thanks. I thought that's what I had at first but after the test was negative I stopped considering it, mainly because from what I've read Lyme causes more symptoms like body aches and pain like fibromyalgia rather than stomach issues and things like I have.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User

After reading up on it and talking to some people with Lyme online, I seem to have more symptoms of a coinfection like Bartonella than Lyme itself.

Reply Reply