It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
(female)

nowisdom HB User
Mouth and reputation ruined with one surgery

I recently had an upper and lower impacted wisdom tooth removed. It was a rough surgery, the lower wisdom tooth was large and way down in my bone. I'm also 40 and a smoker so healing would be hard. The thing is that within a week I was feeling fine, extraction sites in good shape and only a little soreness left. After I went back to my follow up a tingling started in my lip and since spread across my entire left side of face from chin to eye. It goes from a numbness, to tingling to a horrible sensation that reminds me of how liquid nitrogen feels on skin (like if you've gotten a wart removed). All day and all night it does this. My molar teeth have become so sensitive I can't bear for them to touch together, it's a nerve pain, not a typical throbbing toothache pain. And my canine teeth are experiencing this too. My oral surgeon was really rude and ignored my concerns, he only reminded me that I had signed a waiver which made me think he felt this was permanent. When I asked if he thought it was he replied "hope not" and left the room. His staff looks very shabby, he's a jerk and I actually woke up during surgery twice so I'm not very happy even though he is supposed to be the best. I've returned to him trying to find answers but he ignores my questions and tells me not to smoke. I know smoking is bad but come on, it's not what is causing these problems. Frustrated I called my dentist, told them what was going on and asked to come in and just discuss my concerns and get someone to actually talk to me. Well, I've been a patient there almost 15 years and never had a problem until this. The dentist was rude, basically told me off, said she had spoken to the oral surgeon and kicked me out. What on earth??? I went to the oral surgeon office and asked to see him. By the time I got in I was actually crying from the discomfort and the treatment I'd gotten. I tell him I went there to talk because he was not discussing anything with me and I was miserable and scared. He actually got nicer for a bit and talked to me but then when checking my extraction sites he asked if I had ever had problems with narcotics or was on a suboxone program!! So now I got it, he had decided I was a drug user, had probably told my dentist as much and that is why I was treated so badly. I didn't, not once, ask him or my dentist for any medicine. My main worry was the numbness/tingling, the nerve pain in my teeth was minor to that. In all my years at the dentist I have not ever asked for pain pills even though I had muliple infections before I got my wisdom teeth pulled, only asked for antibiotics but obviously they choose to believe this man's misguided opinion over my history with them. So now I'm afraid to go to another oral surgeon because I'll be labled "doctor shopping". Between the horror going on with my face and mouth and this kind of treatment I've about had it. I don't even understand what made him come to that judgement unless it's that I smoke or possibly how I look?? I don't know what to do now and I'm so frustrated with this horrible feeling. Thanks for listening and any advice is greatly apprieciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
(female)

Caryn64 HB User
Re: Mouth and reputation ruined with one surgery

ive been in the dental field as an dental tech for 15yrs. It sounds to me that your facial nerve is affected. If thats the case he is liable no matter if you signed a waiver or not. Waivers dont hold up in court. Get another dentist to talk to you and consult a lawyer

Closed Thread