It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
(male)

21mScared HB User
unexplained sickness, clean blood tests..

Alright so im a 21yo male student, ive been sick since june 10th of this year.
i was originally thinking i had contracted some sort of STI or something because i started feeling really sick after having unprotected anal sex with someone i did not know when i was extremely intoxicated and under influence of cocaine,
ive gone for numerous blood tests for all sti's including HIV & Hep all of them coming back clean after 3 months since the incident, so i am assuming i dont have any of thous things, have also quit drinking and all drugs, have been trying to eat alot healthier and taking care of my self much more, How ever im still feeling horrible, still have Headaches everyday from the moment i wake up till i fall asleep, have had a sore throat radiating into my ears causing ear aches for about 2+ months, sore lymph nodes everywhere Especially in my groin area, the feeling of complete weakness all over my body/sore achy joints and muscles all the time, muscle loss(use to be very in shape), troubles breathing/chest pain all the time, sweating alot in places i never use to sweat at all (groin, back, butt) i had lost alot of weight randomly and rapidly there for a while there went from 165Lb down to 140Lb in a matter of weeks, i am slowly getting back to my normal weight but i am still very weak and sore, The Thing that freaks me out most is recently in the past months my Legs/feet and arms and hads keep falling asleep or keep getting pins and needle, And i mean ALL the time, ill wake up in the morning with my arms completely asleep, or my legs completely asleep Its EXTREMELY uncomfortable And Has me Really worried, have brought all these things up to my doctor and he is at a loss for words he cant even point me in a direction to goto because he said that everything from the tests and what he is seeing (ears,Throat) look fine to him.

and yet im here still feeling horrible, and have recently gone back to school so im finding this even harder to deal with an keep up with my school work.

i Realize this is alot of symptoms to cover, and im not expecting anyone here to completely come up with a cure that my doctor could not.
but im just in alot of pain & completely miserable.
i just really dont know what else to do or where else to turn..

any help would be extremely appreciated
Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited by 21mScared; 09-20-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
(male)

21mScared HB User
Re: unexplained sickness, clean blood tests..

368 veiws and not a single comment....???????

Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
(male)

Matthew90 HB User

Have your primary doctor refer you to a neurologist.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Ok, here's my thoughts. When multiple symptoms involving many different systems pop up and persist like this, it is usually a bad virus, like mono, or an autoimmune disease. I would ask your Dr. to check for mono including Epstein Barr virus titers (antibody levels), a CBC if not done, thyroid tests because of severe fatigue, liver enzymes (both mono and hepatitis will elevate those), CK muscle enzyme and ANA for lupus. That should bring up some clues. Also a standard urine test.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
21mScared (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
(male)

21mScared HB User

thank you very much both of you!
i am going to be making a doctors appointment this week, and hopefully ill get more out of my doctor with these tests. he seems to have just not wanted to do anything since all the STI, hep, and liver enzyme blood tests have come back. last time i talked to him on the phone about my results and he told me they were clear, i asked him what it is i should do from here because i am still in a lot of pain/discomfort, basically he told me that hopefully it will just go away in time... this is a doctor ive had since i was born, so i would like to have faith that he would want to help me no matter how long it took, but now im really doubting that.. might have to go see another.
he is going to probably be peeved when i ask him to do these other tesst and that i went online looking for answers, but im at the end of my rope, i NEED answers. i don't want to keep living like this its horrible i should be in the best shape of my life im only 21!
anyways.. thank you again. hope this all works out.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I wouldn't tell your Dr about being online researching, I would just tell him you have been sick for over 3 months and you wonder if you could have a prolonged case of mono or an autoimmune condition. Since you know him well, he shouldn't get mad at that. He probably just didn't know what to check for next. Ask him to feel the lymph nodes that bother you especially if any are enlarged (>1 cm). I would add a sedimentation rate and CRP to the blood tests I mentioned, which if elevated, indicate excess inflammation, a characteristic of many autoimmune conditions. Also, an RA factor just to cover the most common things (Rheumatoid arthritis). The numbness could be from Vit B12 or folate deficiency, which can also be measured in blood. He may be happy to have some suggestions if they are presented right to him. Let us know how it goes, and I hope you get some answers! If he won't do all those, the CBC, EBV and ANA are most important.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
21mScared (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
(female)

lindsay0891 HB User

I'm also 21 and in a similar situation. I haven't had the same symptoms as you... mine have mostly been digestive problems, constant dizziness/lightheadedness, worsening anxiety, etc. My blood work has also been normal but I do test positive for Epstein Barr, although it's inactive. I've been sick since April and I can't get any answers.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User

Yes - definitely have him check a CBC, ESR, CRP, thyroid (TSH, free T3 & T4), ANA, RF, electrolytes, Mono and B12. It sound like it could likely be autoimmune, infectious or a type of anemia. Hopefully your doctor will agree to more tests. Have you had any rashes?
I have also been dealing with an illness since February and I am 24. It seems so unfair that we have to feel so awful at this age, and it is frustrating because we are very resilient we can physically handle being unwell for a longer period of time, and the doctors often don't seem to have a plan or direction for diagnosing and helping us. Hopefully we will not feel this way forever

Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
(male)

21mScared HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
I wouldn't tell your Dr about being online researching, I would just tell him you have been sick for over 3 months and you wonder if you could have a prolonged case of mono or an autoimmune condition. Since you know him well, he shouldn't get mad at that. He probably just didn't know what to check for next. Ask him to feel the lymph nodes that bother you especially if any are enlarged (>1 cm). I would add a sedimentation rate and CRP to the blood tests I mentioned, which if elevated, indicate excess inflammation, a characteristic of many autoimmune conditions. Also, an RA factor just to cover the most common things (Rheumatoid arthritis). The numbness could be from Vit B12 or folate deficiency, which can also be measured in blood. He may be happy to have some suggestions if they are presented right to him. Let us know how it goes, and I hope you get some answers! If he won't do all those, the CBC, EBV and ANA are most important.

Thank you very much ladybud!, I really appreciate the time you took to write this out for me, i have been completely stuck not knowing what to do up to this point. at least now i have some direction to go in, Hopefully i get some answers and can finally get this figured out so i can start feeling better again,

Closed Thread