It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

km72784 HB User
Chronic pain/Abnormal labs

Hello
I started with chronic muscle and joint pain about 3 weeks ago that is only getting worse. Along with the pain I have been having headaches almost daily. I have been to my doctor who did some blood work. My results as he said were odd. He is now running more tests however I am going nuts wondering. The abnormal lab levels are:

RBC: 5.82H
Hemoglobin: 16.0H
Hematocrit: 46.5H
MCV: 79.9L
Platelets: 14.2H
MPV: 12.7H

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Chronic pain/Abnormal labs

I cannot help regarding your lab results, however I am wondering if you are by chance taking cholesterol medication. If so, many of them will cause muscle damage/pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User

Do you have the normal ranges for your lab results? I cannot really tell how high those are. Did your doctor say anything? Because of the widespread high results in your CBC it could be that you were dehydrated or perhaps there is a condition called polycythemia vera you could look into that commonly causes headaches.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
(female)

km72784 HB User

nope...up until this started I was taking no medications and have been fairly healthy. Since I posted this I ended up in the Emergency room with severe head pain, neck pain/stiffness, and left side weakness. Still waiting on tests results however the hospital doctor suspects possible lyme disease which has gotten to the brain...patiently waiting for an answer

Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
(female)

km72784 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
Do you have the normal ranges for your lab results? I cannot really tell how high those are. Did your doctor say anything? Because of the widespread high results in your CBC it could be that you were dehydrated or perhaps there is a condition called polycythemia vera you could look into that commonly causes headaches.
The doctor said it was rare and is looking further into it....I will look into polycythemia vera and see what I can find out, thanks

Old 09-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

High red cell count with high hemoglobin and hematocrit can occur as a result of chronic hypoxia, low oxygen, stimulating your red cell production. This can occur in many chronic pulmonary conditions and sleep apnea. This causes the blood to get thicker than usual which predisposes to blood clots especially when platellets are high. Yours are but I can't tell how high without the reference range. Polycythema vera is a different problem in that the bone marrow starts producing too many cells of different types, in your case the red cells and platellets, but not the white cells. Do you have any chronic pulmonary problems like COPD or sleep apnea? A blood test called erythropoetin, could be measured to sort out the red cell problem. What is odd is that your cell size is small as if you are iron deficient, which could happend if your red cell production exceeds your available iron supply. The platellets being high can be a problem relkated to blood clotting also, so this will need to be figured out and treated to prevent any complications. Carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty heater or appliance can cause high red counts too. Any possibility of that? The thickend blood causes the headaches.
Please let us know some followup and reference ranges for your labs, and if you live in high altitude.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
km72784 (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
(female)

km72784 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
High red cell count with high hemoglobin and hematocrit can occur as a result of chronic hypoxia, low oxygen, stimulating your red cell production. This can occur in many chronic pulmonary conditions and sleep apnea. This causes the blood to get thicker than usual which predisposes to blood clots especially when platellets are high. Yours are but I can't tell how high without the reference range. Polycythema vera is a different problem in that the bone marrow starts producing too many cells of different types, in your case the red cells and platellets, but not the white cells. Do you have any chronic pulmonary problems like COPD or sleep apnea? A blood test called erythropoetin, could be measured to sort out the red cell problem. What is odd is that your cell size is small as if you are iron deficient, which could happend if your red cell production exceeds your available iron supply. The platellets being high can be a problem relkated to blood clotting also, so this will need to be figured out and treated to prevent any complications. Carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty heater or appliance can cause high red counts too. Any possibility of that? The thickend blood causes the headaches.
Please let us know some followup and reference ranges for your labs, and if you live in high altitude.
Hello, my refernce ranges are as follows
RBC 3.80-4.80
Hemaglobin 11.9-15.0
Hematocrit 34.3-44.6
MCV 83.2-98.5

My dr did say that I was not Anemic as far as the iron goes which is why he said the results were odd/rare. I do not have COPD, Sleep apnea, Asthma, emphysema, or any other pulmonary problem however have been retaining alot of fluid in my legs and feet since this has started, which my dr is aware of. I do not live in high altitudes. Symptoms are stable at this point, at least they are not getting worse. I still have the left side weakness, which has been going on for 4 days now. Very worried that it will be permanent. Anxiously awaiting for tomorrow to arrive to hopefully get some results and answers. I will keep you posted, thank you

Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
(female)

km72784 HB User

Quote:
also forgot no chance of CO poisoning, My family or coworkers are not experiencing any problems

Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You are actually the opposite of anemic. Anemia means too few red cells and you have too many. Good luck. If your Dr can't figure it out please ask to go to a hematologist. Did you have tests done to see if you had had a stroke causing your left sided weakness? Did they show anything? Usually a CT or MRI is done in the ER or hospital.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
(female)

km72784 HB User

Quote:
You are actually the opposite of anemic. Anemia means too few red cells and you have too many. Good luck. If your Dr can't figure it out please ask to go to a hematologist. Did you have tests done to see if you had had a stroke causing your left sided weakness? Did they show anything? Usually a CT or MRI is done in the ER or hospital.
yes MRI was done and showed no stroke, thank god! At 28 years old I feel like I'm 70 with these problems. Thank you for the advice, I will certainly look into a hematologist if needed.

Closed Thread