It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

Airabella29 HB User
Help with blood work results

I posted awhile ago about my Mother who is having trouble with her balance. She has been to the Neurologist and they have done lots of tests. Still no answers. She had blood work done and everything is in range except for something called Methylmalonic Acid. Says normal range is 87-318 L., hers is at 70 L. What is this, and can it somehow effect balance?
Also on a side note, the Dr. thought it might be a B12 issue. She has been doubling up on B12 vitamins since. Her B12 shows it is in range. Normal range is listed at 200-1100 pg/ml, hers is at 416. Should it be higher than this since she has been taking vitamins for it?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Help with blood work results

From what I understand about the topic, if your mom's level of methylmalanoic acid was elevated it would be an indication of a B12 deficiency. Among the symptoms of a B12 deficiency, particularly in older patients, are peripheral neuropathy, ataxia, loss of position and vibration senses,(balance, among other issues), memory impairment, depression, and dementia in the absence of anemia.

The only thing I can find for a deficiency is an indication of possible renal disorders.

When do you see the doctor who ordered the tests?

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Airabella29 (10-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
(female)

Airabella29 HB User
Re: Help with blood work results

Hello again, and thank you for replying. The next Dr.s visit is a staggering 3 months away! She has the loss of position, and loss of vibration in her big toe. Sometimes her foot tingles (peripheral neuropathy?).
She has had 2 MRI's a MRA, and a sonogram of her neck. They have found nothing.
I'm going to attempt to scan her full blood work results and copy and paste them over here. Even though everything is in range, maybe someone will see some red flags and be able to help.

Closed Thread