It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

asdteacher HB User
How to get the most out of a doctor's appointment

Hello! I'm having a collection of symptoms that are interfering with my functioning, especially at work. I have no health insurance, and the last time I shelled out an entire paycheck to address these symptoms, my blood test came back normal and I was told I was fine.

I have another appointment coming up and I'm wondering what specific things to ask for so my symptoms don't just get brushed off again. My symptoms include hair loss, unexplained bruising, overall fatigue with a period of intense exhaustion midday, foot pain, shortness of breath, confusion/ mental exhaustion, and this shooting electric- shock type of pain in my hand several times a day. Are there tests I should ask for or questions I should know to ask?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How to get the most out of a doctor's appointment

I guess my first question to you is what kind of doctor are you seeing? Internist, family practice, gyno?? What is you medical history otherwise? Age, diseases, surgeries, etc.

What have you been treated for in the past and what meds are you currently taking? Do you have allergies? Asthma? Menopausal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
(female)

asdteacher HB User

I'm 31, no significant medical history, no allergies, no medications, no asthma. I'm seeing a family practice physician at a low-cost clinic. I was not raised going to see doctors and never learned how or when to utilize those services.

Last edited by asdteacher; 10-07-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Some of those types of clinics are limited in what they can do. A fulls service doctor's office will usually do more...but then, the lack of insurance can be an issue as well. That's unfortunately the state of healthcare here now. Hopefully they ask for a full medical history and you can go from there. Based on your symptoms, a vitamin deficiency, lung issue of some sort like asthma and pinched nerve/disc issue/carpal tunnel sound like what all you MAY have going on. I doubt one thing is causing all. An annual physical in the future can pick up on these things as they come along rather than having an accumulation to sort thru.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
(female)

asdteacher HB User

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Hopefully this doctor will be able to help pinpoint the cause of at least the fatigue and the hand pain, as those are the two most significant symptoms. (Though I'd also like to keep my hair!!)

The odd thing is that, with the exception of the hand pain, the rest of this all started at the same time, around three months ago. I didn't change my diet or exercise routine at that point, although I did move to a new apartment, and also started teaching in a different school building. So maybe it's environmental.

The electric-shock hand thing is EXTREMELY unpleasant but has only been going on for a week -- ten times in a week, but five of those were yesterday and the pain was much worse (and so sudden that I screamed and almost fell off the couch, which in turn caused my husband to drop an entire cup of coffee, narrowly missing the dog). So I guess I'll focus on that and the fatigue and see if I can get some answers.

I feel foolish, walking into a doctor's office with a dozen symptoms and vaguely asking the doctor to "fix it," but then that's why I'm going to the doctor - because they know stuff I don't.

Anyway, I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Closed Thread