HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Open to All Other Health Topics (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/)
-   -   I have lice. (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/922479-i-have-lice.html)

ament 10-10-2012 11:59 AM

I have lice.

My 5 y/o daughter brought home lice about two weeks ago. It took me more than a week to clear hers up. Now I have it, along with an itchy rash on my neck. I got rid of my daughter's by using Licefreee Spray and combing her hair thoroughly with a metal lice comb. The problem is that I can't do my own hair as thoroughly as I did her, as my hair is long and thick and I don't have anyone to help me.

According to the spray, it's supposed to kill the nits. I did treat myself with it, and it seemed to kill the lice, but I'm not sure if it killed the nits (hence the rash). How can I treat myself for lice without having to pick out every last nit?

gmak 10-10-2012 12:23 PM

Re: I have lice.

I used to be a school nurse and i really understand the HARD work a mom has to do to rid this problem! Actually, back then the only way was to comb out every nit! I did this for single moms alot. Your best friend? Mom? Neighbor? School nurse? She will understand and will not want your daughter to get them back! Have you ever heard of lice enders? I think this is the name. They guarantee results. Google lice & see if there is something that will help you. Also, there used to be Nix cream rinse that left residual poison on your hair that killed any nits that hatched for 10 to 14 days, then repeat. It makes your hair so slick it may accomodate you in combing nits out yourself. Makes your hair shiny too. Check with your dr & her pediatrician, they will have ideas also and Rx ability. Ask about neurotoxicity of treatments, when or if to re- treat your daughtet etc. Maybe your beautician can comb them out. Im so sorry. If i find more info i will tell you. Meanwhile, im here if you need a friend.

Titchou 10-10-2012 06:28 PM

There is a new product out that is the consistency of honey. It is very thick and the lice and nits stick to it. Ask your pharmacist.

ament 10-13-2012 07:59 AM

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if I retreat every 5 days will the lice eventually die off? I'm using LiceFree and Listerine to kill them (non-pesticide) because Nix and Rid did not work. I mean, if they die before they can lay more eggs, that will eventually kill all of them, right?

I just don't have anyone to pick nits for me, and I can't get them all myself.

gmak 10-13-2012 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=ament;5071606]Maybe this is a stupid question, but if I retreat every 5 days will the lice eventually die off? I'm using LiceFree and Listerine to kill them (non-pesticide) because Nix and Rid did not work. I mean, if they die before they can lay more eggs, that will eventually kill all of them, right?

I just don't have anyone to pick nits for me, and I can't get them all myself.[/QUOTE]

Hi ament! Listerine is useless as is alcohol, vinegar, kerosene,bleach & a myriad of other things i saw people use when i was school nurse. I think the itchy rash is because of live lice still in your hair, or they bit before you killed them. Nits cant bite. Liceee spray has directions to SATURATE your hair, & it kills nits & live lice. Nix shampoo that didnt work & nix cream rinse are different. Maybe try a cream rinse that you dont rinse out. Then with hair slick with conditioner try combing yourself. It has to get out some @ least. I noticed on kids who washed hair everyday & used conditioner that they didnt get lice. Theory: the hair follicle was too slick for them to hold on to. Mayonnaise thickly put on hair, covered with shower cap & left on overnight was a popular treatment in the 90's. I would follow directions on liceee spray, make sure that you have PLENTY, saturate hair. Then follow steps to rid household of lice. i.e. wash everything, put toys like stuffed animals etc in black bags sealed for two weeks, vacuum beds & everywhere, spray furniture & car. Nits that have hatched look like brown shell stuck to the hair shaft. White pearly nits are adhered to hair and get out only by natural loss of hair or haircuts. Truly there is no one at all to comb nits?

i did it for single moms,,& my best friend. Wish i was there to do it for you! I will pray that God sends somebody! 5 days is too often, what does licee spray say about retreating? Also, i required all hair to be at least in ponytail. Keeping hair up brought amazing results in my school!! Did lice enders look like it would help?I hope this ends quickly for you! If you need a friend to listen please let me know. Okay?

gmak 10-13-2012 11:12 AM

P. S. I wanted to tell you something funny. All our lives (been friends with my best friend since age 7 & we are 56 now) we had heard the saying" dont be such a nit picker!) When I was doing her hair we realized where that saying came from! We laughed so hard & decided that " nit picker" was the worst name you could ever call someone! So, God forgive us but occasionally we called a jerky husband or mean person a " nit picker". Just between ourselves. . . AND we burst out giggling! Its so gross but the humor is what stuck with us, not the lice memory!
?