It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
lqcorsa HB User
Possible Allergic Reaction To Alcohol

So a while ago I poured myself a glass of wine. It wasn't a very tall glass, just average. I had taken a sip from the same bottle a few nights ago, without any problems, and I drink socially - every 4 - 5 weeks or so.

For the first time tonight, about halfway through my glass, my eyes started to itch. I thought my eyes must have been getting a little dry, or maybe the drink was hitting me a little quick...so I didn't think anything of it, since alcohol tends to have somewhat of a numbing effect on my face usually anyway.

As I continued to drink, I noticed a stinging sensation around my eyes, near my temples, around my eyes and down my cheeks. When I looked in the mirror, my face had gotten quite red, like a sunburn, and was burning. I immediately stopped drinking, and did some research online.

Apparently the things I could come up with were - I either have throat cancer, or I've somehow lost the ability to metabolize alcohol at some point within the last few days. It wasn't very helpful.

Does this sound like an allergic reaction? The bottle was open, but kept in a fridge. Did it maybe spoil?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 10-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,419
Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Possible Allergic Reaction To Alcohol

Was it red wine? If so, you may need to switch to white. Red often causes this due to the sulfites in it.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
lqcorsa HB User
Re: Possible Allergic Reaction To Alcohol

It was white.

 
Old 10-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: new york, NY, United States
Posts: 9
Allennor HB User
Re: Possible Allergic Reaction To Alcohol

yes it was surely an allergic reaction i think your body is not so strong to handle the alcohol i will only say that if possible quit the consumption of liquor as soon as possible that will be beneficial for your health
__________________
.

 
Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Arrowroot HB User
Re: Possible Allergic Reaction To Alcohol

I agree that it sounds like an allergic reaction. Many people are allergic or sensitive to sulfites, which wine contains. You might try a small amount of some other type of alcohol, that does not contain sulfites, like beer or hard liquor, to see if you tolerate that well.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!