It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

SierraMay HB User
Gets sick after not eating for about 5+ hours

I find this strange but when I don't eat for about 5 hours I get sick (nausea,dizzy,shaky and hot) I don't have and eating disorders I eat regularly for the most part (with the exception of not eating lunch all the time) I'm small not thin small. I'm 4'11 weigh about 115 pounds. It's like my body goes into panic mode without food for a few hours but then I'm just fine about 15 minutes after eating and I always have to eat breakfast because when I wake up I'm nauseous. This doesn't happen to anyone else I know my mom and older sister are tiny and they can go just fine without food and not feel sick. Is something wrong with me? Is this normal? Please help! Thank you

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
(male)

Scotty723 HB User
Re: Gets sick after not eating for about 5+ hours

I get the same way when I don't have enough food in me. For my case though, It's because I'm anemic, and I need iron from foods. It also could be diabetes which is the same thing but sugar. When I don't have enough food in me I feel very weak, nausea, dizzy, when I stand up I start to black out, body gets shaky, and I feel like I'm going to faint. But once I eat I feel fine. My recommendations and I'm no doctor, would be to take a Multivitamin every day and make sure it has your daily value of Iron in it. Also see a doctor when you can just to make sure you don't have diabetes cause you could need insulin(worse case scenario, so don't get scared).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
(male)

Scotty723 HB User

It's also very important to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. and a healthy snack in between won't do you any harm either. Remember your body is like a car, it needs gas to go. And stay away from pop(soda), it's not good for you at all, drink lots of purified water(get a water purifier from walmart for 15$). I've been drinking nothing but water for the last 6+ months, I'll drink 100% juice also, and I've noticed a huge difference in my energy and body happiness. All those other drinks and pops are nothing but toxic vile to your body.

Last edited by Scotty723; 11-14-2012 at 06:42 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty723 For This Useful Post:
SierraMay (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
(female)

SierraMay HB User

Hm I might be anemic I haven't ate pork for about 5 years and I stopped eating red meats altogether five months ago I don't know if that's my problem or not. I do drink water and V8 juices all the time though but I will start taking some vitamins maybe that will help. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMay View Post
I find this strange but when I don't eat for about 5 hours I get sick (nausea,dizzy,shaky and hot) I don't have and eating disorders I eat regularly for the most part (with the exception of not eating lunch all the time) I'm small not thin small. I'm 4'11 weigh about 115 pounds. It's like my body goes into panic mode without food for a few hours but then I'm just fine about 15 minutes after eating and I always have to eat breakfast because when I wake up I'm nauseous. This doesn't happen to anyone else I know my mom and older sister are tiny and they can go just fine without food and not feel sick. Is something wrong with me? Is this normal? Please help! Thank you
I've been the exact same way since I was young. And I know I don't have diabetes or anemia, I've been tested. But when I'm hungry I have to eat NOW!! I've started carrying granola bars so if I'm not around food when it strikes I have something.
Mornings are the worst for me. I HAVE to eat right away or i get very nauseous. It's not a big problem usually as I just make sure to eat immediately. But if I'm traveling or with family or friends that early in the morning they don't understand because a lot of people even skip breakfast. I can't even fathom that! Lol! But they've either learned I'm like that or I tell them. And again having food on hand helps to tide me over in case a group wants to say go out for breakfast. I'd never make it that long of a wait.
I've been this way for at least 25 years so I don't know if anything is wrong or not. I've wondered before if it is hypoglycemia, which can be a condition different than diabetes. Hypoglycemia can be a part of diabetes, but you CAN have hypoglycemia and NOT have diabetes. So, who knows what this is??
If you do find out something, I'd love to hear what it is!

Last edited by Whynowthis; 11-14-2012 at 08:54 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Whynowthis:
SierraMay (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User

I was like you when I was a child. If I didn't eat soon after waking up, I'd feel nauseated, weak and my face would become flushed. Typically, whenever my parents slept in on weekends and made brunch, I would be too sick to eat it. (I was viewed as kind of an impatient brat, if I got a bowl of cereal to eat early, as they did not understand).

After I got older, I no longer needed to eat right away, UNLESS I ate a little food, but not enough food. Like, if I woke up late and had to rush, only having time to eat a few bites of something, before heading off to school, I'd feel nauseated in an hour or so (when the food was gone) at school, off and on, until after I got to eat lunch.

As an adult, I rarely eat breakfast and feel fine, UNLESS I drink plain water. For years, I thought it was the drinking that made me nauseated, but it was the WATER. I can drink anything else and be fine.

So, now I drink weakened, organic juice all morning and no more nausea! I weaken it because I don't want all of the extra calories. About 8 oz of juice + 24 oz of water.

Maybe drinking juice would help you when you can't or don't want to eat?

Last edited by elizabeth62; 11-14-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
(female)

SierraMay HB User

Yes as soon as I wake up in the morning my body instantly tells me to eat if I don't I feel like I'm dying. Maybe I'll try carrying granola bars with me too sounds like a good idea. I have heard about these things happening to people with low blood sugar too so I'll look into that some more and see what I can find!

Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
(female)

SierraMay HB User

I do tend to grab some water when I start feeling sick it helps a little but then I still start to feel sick again I usually grab something with sugar and I feel better for a bit longer than drinking water. I started feeling this way for almost a year I don't know if I'm anemic cause I've been cutting down on red meat and stopped eating it completely now for five months or if perhaps I just have low blood sugar or maybe I'm just weird

The following user gives a hug of support to SierraMay:
Whynowthis (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Definitely sounds like low blood sugar. Be sure to eat a protein every 2-3 hours.

Closed Thread