It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
(male)

smitt2012 HB User
Exclamation Question about Formaldehyde -- Need Help ASAP

hi everyone,

sorry if this is a frantic post, we've been through hell

i'm new here. my wife, myself and our 2 month old baby girl moved into an apartment on sept 26 of this year.

we had to leave because it smelled so bad and our poor little girl and I, not so much my wife, were having breathing problems, rashes, wheezing, etc.

turns out the Formaldehyde level in the apartment was 4x the limit..
(limit being .20 ng/L, our apartment was .83 ng/L)

we had to vacate per orders of our pediatrician and my doctor. my wife has been displaced in NH and I about an hour away cause i have to work.

the apartment has been vacant and we get to move into a new place on Nov. 28th

we got all our 1st and last rent money back, and moving expenses back, and dont have to pay to break our lease...

......*****here's my question. our bed, couch, clothing, bassinet, crib and everything will have been in the apartment for 2 months (sept. 26 to nov. 28th)

i'm worried that our clothing and bedding and everything will reek of formaldehyde and be unsafe.... does anybody know if i wash it all, if it would be okay? the least thing we want to do is track it into our new apartment. does formaldehyde even seep into clothes and beds/cribs??

has anyone ever dealt with this before, or know how to get rid of formaldehyde from clothing etc??

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

best
erik

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Question about Formaldehyde -- Need Help ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitt2012 View Post
... does formaldehyde even seep into clothes and beds/cribs??

has anyone ever dealt with this before, or know how to get rid of formaldehyde from clothing etc??

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

best
erik
I am extremely reactive to off-gassing and chemicals, such as formaldehyde and other volatile organic chemicals (VOCs). When exposed, I get breathing problems, erratic heart-rate, mental confusion, fatigue and higher blood pressure.

That said... when my home was exposed, I found that, in most cases, just removing the offending furniture, appliance, paint, etc., that contained the VOC, took care of the problem. In quite a few cases, I would also air out my place for an hour or so.

That tells me that my clothing and my other possessions did not absorb the VOC or formaldehyde, otherwise I would not be able to still live here.

I can't say how you or your family would be effected. Your family might be far more sensitive or reactive than me, but I am extremely sensitive.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Question about Formaldehyde -- Need Help ASAP

I would say definitely wash whatever can be washed and in as hot water as it can stand. Things that can't be washed or dry cleaned, such as furniture, put out in the sunlight for at least a day if you can.

Closed Thread