It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
(male)

mike580 HB User
At a complete loss!! Head/Neck pain. Need HELP, suggestions please...

Hey all,

So as I said in my title, I'm at a huge loss as to whats going on with me the last few weeks, and what to do next. Wasnt sure which section to post this in, as it could probably apply to 5 or more, so thought I'd start here. I'll try to be brief.

I posted here over a month ago in regards to this same exact problem, before going to the doctor, to get some opinions. Going on 6 weeks later I have the same exact problem at the same level. This after a doctors visit, then a subsequent ER visit.

5 weeks ago this past Thursday I woke up with a mild, what I would describe as a headache, very localized, back lower left side of my head, behind and below my left ear. Muscle just below where the skull meets the muscle in that lower left side of the back of my head. Very tender in that one particular area, the size of a quarter, if pressure applied. The "headache" description may be from aching/pain radiating into my head from that area, as opposed to a standard headache. It progressed in pain over the next 36 hours. I should mention I have no history of any headache, neck or spine issues. Nothing relative at all.

As stated, first notcied 5 weeks ago this past Thursday, waited until the following Tuesday with same level of pain and went to my primary doctor. He took a look, said my ear anal looked red, thought I had an ear infection and prescribed me a 10 day course of amoxicillin. Leaving his office I didnt think in any way I had an ear infection. Took the antiobiotics for 7 days, no relief, called him back to notify, to which he was very surprised and suggested I go to the ER. So I did, that evening. Dr at the ER examined me briefly, no swelling in the area, no redness, etc. He said he'd like to do a CT scan, which he did. Came back completely clean. Nothing showed. He then deduced that I had a muscle strain in my neck, my "strap muscles in the mastoid area", gave me a soft neck collar to wear, i could try ice if it helped (which i did and it didnt) and said i could take Aleve for my pain in the meantime. Told me it could take a few weeks for it to feel better. But he was pretty certain thats what it was.

So I left there feeling better about the CT scan coming back clean, but I honestly still questioned the diagnosis. It seemed too localized to me, and I hadnt done ANYTHING to cause this kind of strain, etc.

So much for the brief part, I'm sorry. Fast forward to now. The pain is still there, same level. I thought about a week ago I was feeling slightly better for a few days, but it went back to the same feeling.

I've read a lot about the "mastoid" area of the head, which seems to be right where this is located. But sometimes the more reading you do the worse.

Has anyone had or experienced anything similair, and if so what was it, have you done, how long has it taken, etc? I'm going on 6 weeks total, 4 1/2 since seing a doctor with no change. I forgot to mention the only thing that seems to give me SOME relief is Excedrin (which contains acetaminophin, asprin and caffeine). Tylnol, Aleve, Advil dont seem to touch it. And I only take the Excedrin sparingly because of other meds I'm on. I havent worked, and also have no insurance as a side note.

Thank you for anyone who has taken the time to read all of this. And I am open to any and all responses and input. Hope to hear from some of you. Thanks in advance.

J

Last edited by mike580; 12-02-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
ear ache, head, headache, neck