It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
(male)

SpazzAttackk HB User
Body and head shake/twitch like symptom

I have a past of anxiety (Social anxiety) but ive gotten over a majority of it. When I used to get attacks my head would shake back and forth kind of like id be saying no. But it wasnt very noticeable thank god.

For the past week I went through a bit of a depression spell and now my upper body neck and head jerk or twitch. The more I think about it the more nervous I get and the worse it gets. Its off and on, it usually comes around when I get paranoid or nervous. And if I twitch in the slightest way I get super paranoid and it gets stronger. Its not that noticeable to people around me, but I cant stand it. If they stared at me they would definitely know something was up though.

I havnt been getting much sleep and my schedules been off. Im pretty sure I have low iron and vitamin D so ive been taking multi vitamins.

Can someone please tell me ill be alright and that I havnt developed a disease at the age of 19..? Thats my biggest fear. I do tend to overthink things though. Its really been messing me up. Anxiety is a SOB.

Last edited by SpazzAttackk; 12-26-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Body and head shake/twitch like symptom

Are you on any medications at this time? Some cause those symptoms.

essential tremour can also cause those symptoms. It's possible that the twitching is a reaction that you might be doing unconsciously because of the distress you're havng from the tremour.

You need to talk to your doctor and get referred to a neurologist who can determine if your symptoms are med-related, nerve related or psychosomatic.

Are you seeing a therapist at this time?

Hve ou tried massage therapy? That might ease some of the tension in your neck/shoulders and ease some of the reaction.
q

Last edited by quincy; 12-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
(male)

SpazzAttackk HB User

Psychosomatic doesnt sound to good.. Jeez. No im not on any meds. I find when I think about it, it gets worse. When im out and about with friends it goes away but when im back at home it comes back.

I dont get why I would need a therapist for shakes..

Last edited by SpazzAttackk; 12-26-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You mentioned you had social anxiety, paranoia, etc. You've gotten past the majority of it...just wondering if therapy is how you got over it.

Since you're not on any medications...some anxiety/depression/etc meds can cause twitching....can't zoom in on that possibility.

Do you drink? you mention when you're out with friends...alcohol tends to lessen the anxiety and in turn lessen essential tremour if that's what you have.

You should get it checked out anyway. So much better than going through the cycle of worry.

Psychosomatic...doesn't mean you have a tremour....it could be in part a reason for your twitching muscles.

Have you by chance gone on a carb-free diet? Do you consume drinks/foods with artificial sweeteners?
q

Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
(male)

SpazzAttackk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
You mentioned you had social anxiety, paranoia, etc. You've gotten past the majority of it...just wondering if therapy is how you got over it.

Since you're not on any medications...some anxiety/depression/etc meds can cause twitching....can't zoom in on that possibility.

Do you drink? you mention when you're out with friends...alcohol tends to lessen the anxiety and in turn lessen essential tremour if that's what you have.

You should get it checked out anyway. So much better than going through the cycle of worry.

Psychosomatic...doesn't mean you have a tremour....it could be in part a reason for your twitching muscles.

Have you by chance gone on a carb-free diet? Do you consume drinks/foods with artificial sweeteners?
q
I actually just came off a drinking binge. Fairly heavy drinker for my age. Since Ive had these symptoms ive been drinking lots of water instead of booze and ive cut my smoking down to 2 -3 a day versus half a pack. My tremors seem to be getting better. Theyre still there but def not as bad.

Ive also had a major change in my sleep schedule. Id go to bed at 5 am and wake up at 1pm. I pulled an all nighter to fix this and right now I go to sleep around 10pm, wake up a couple times throughout the night and start my day around 8 - 9am. Im forcing myself to correct this but these new sleep patterns are leaving me feeling really out of it in the mornings.

When im out with friends I drink occasionally but were usually just out and about doing things sober. Could it just be my body and mind adjusting to all these new 'good' habbits?

Ill go get checked out if these symptoms leak into the new year for sure.

Last edited by SpazzAttackk; 12-27-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think it could, especially if you were a heavy drinker and a smoker. Changing any hardcore habits and addictions would be a major stress on the mind and body.

You're going forth with a huge undertaking, but it's going to be in your very best interests for the rest of your life. The rewards will be more than you can imagine at this point.

Eventually, things will even out as you tweak your schedule to what can suit you best. If 10 is too early for bed, try 11...but still get up at 8 or 9.

Are you working at this point? going to school?

q

Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
(male)

SpazzAttackk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
I think it could, especially if you were a heavy drinker and a smoker. Changing any hardcore habits and addictions would be a major stress on the mind and body.

You're going forth with a huge undertaking, but it's going to be in your very best interests for the rest of your life. The rewards will be more than you can imagine at this point.

Eventually, things will even out as you tweak your schedule to what can suit you best. If 10 is too early for bed, try 11...but still get up at 8 or 9.

Are you working at this point? going to school?

q
Sadly no, Im looking for a job but nothings coming up. Im going to go back to school next semester and get everything I need and HOPEFULLY go to college. I made a lot of bad decisions in my life but im trying to correct it

Do you think itd be alright if I drank for new years? I know when it comes down to it, no matter how much willpower.. Ill end up drinking on new years

Edit: I just did some research and apparently binge drinking can seriously effect Anxiety and panic attacks, and make you feel completely out of it. A lot of people say they feel like theyre going crazy after binging but it clears up in a few days. Its day 3 right now since my last drink so hopefully by tomorrow or the day after everything will be fine. Lesson learned

I believe the shakes are just a symptom of my anxiety as ive had it all my life. Ill keep you posted on how I feel in a couple days. Just pray I wake up and feel like my old self. This is not fun by any means

Last edited by SpazzAttackk; 12-27-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...when one mixes anxiety/depression/mood disorders with alcohol/drugs, there's never a happy medium. It's not willpower....it's being able to maintain control while everyone else isn't.

You seem to be on a path of improvement, if you can limit how much you drink then that's a good thing for you the day after. One doesn't have to get totally smashed to enjoy the event.
But if you make the decision to overindulge, you'll probably feel like crap the next day or so. It's a decision one makes at the start.

It's new year's eve, the world didn't end...I'm happy to see the year done with, and I'm sure I'll eat too much and feel like crap the next day. I'm supposed to get my butt in gear and start exercising and eat a bit better than I do....I have more excuses than reasons...ultimately, I haven't made the decision to do it. I know it would make me happier and hopefully healthier.

Enjoy your celebration. Try to keep your brain engaged and don't totally throw caution to the wind and make bad decisions while drunk.

q

Last edited by quincy; 12-27-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Reply Reply