It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

anxietyridden22 HB User
Not sure, and a little (very) scared.

- Disclaimer -

I have had anxiety for years, and I am very aware of it and the hypochondria it promotes. I don't take any medication (at all, ever) nor do I go to the doctor often (as this would be an unhealthy habit to get into). I know the difference between my imagined symptoms, and my real ones; that was a hard skill to learn, but I have now. I believe that my ways of controlling the anxiety and not giving in to it are relatively healthy.

All that said, something is most certainly not right, and I have had real symptoms for a while now that are making me very uneasy. I have a few theories, but none have anything to with each other so I am not sure which specific forum to post this in.

- What I Need -

I want to go to the doctor. To get tested for something - the problem is, I have no idea which of my theories is most likely to be true. So I need some help - I don't want my anxiety to cause me to tailspin into unhealthy habits by getting tested for everything under the sun, but my symptoms /are/ real, and I want to ask for a test and be able to have the conviction to insist on it instead of being sent home and still having to pay the visit fee.

- Back story -

My symptoms began in about mid-June. This was a couple of months after starting birth control, and I thought I was having an adverse affect to them because I was feeling very dizzy and getting cramps in my legs - so I stopped taking them in July-ish, hoping to end my symptoms. Unfortunately, no luck there, and the dizziness and migraines just kept getting worse and worse, until I couldn't tell which was causing which and I was recommended to the E.R. by a G.P. for an MRI or CAT (a.c.r.o.n.y.m.s!) scan. However, when I got there they did a blood test and found I was positive for Mono and sent me home with no further tests; when I mentioned the vertigo they told me it was an inner ear infection (that they weren't sure about - it just "probably" was).
I had no symptoms of mono aside from the fatigue and muscle pain. I am not doubting that I had mono in the slightest, don't get me wrong, just clarifying that I don't often get normal symptoms for things in the first place. I had zero coughing, throat pain, or fever.
Now I wish I had pushed for a scan as well. Surely the Mono is gone by now, but my symptoms are not.

- Symptoms -

~malaise, general unease
~migraines and headaches in sinus regions (behind the eyes, front of the forehead) as well as on top of the head, on the sides of the head, and the neck
~stiffness and soreness, including the neck
~increased anxiety
~fogginess - a feeling that "nothing is real" - far away feeling - detached
~decreased vision - blurriness
~decreased attention
~confusion - bouts of delirium and spacing out (just now I couldn't think of the word "delirium." Took me five minutes.)
~irritability
~persistent dizziness (daily)
~unusual weight gain, swelling of abdomen - I went from 90 lbs to 108ish in two months, and I appear to be gaining still. I am NOT pregnant - already been tested, and do test every month, for that affliction (haha). I am only 22 years old.
~photo-sensitivity
~stomach, abdominal pain, but with no vomitting
~inability to focus (mentally or visually)

This whole post has taken me two hours to write because I keep forgetting what I wanted to say.... I'm sorry.

- Theories -

1. My first theory is just that my wisdom teeth are piercing my sinus cavities. They have all fully pierced the gum (boy, teething at 21 was weird), but recently my headaches have been much worse and I have had the sinus infection from hell, and the head/ear/nose pain can seemingly be traced to my teeth. They are about to impact my other teeth, so I'm getting them removed very soon anyhow, but does this sound like something that is even possible?

2. Liver damage - when I had mono NO ONE mentioned that I shouldn't drink. Most of the time I didn't want to anyhow, but my boyfriend turned 21 in the interim time, and so...guess what! Since, alcohol has been much more potent with me, and I have been having unusual weight gain in the abdomen region and many of my other symptoms fall in line with this theory. Of course, the anxiety comes into play, so I would like some anonymous internet opinions, please.

3-infinity. House mold, brain tumor, lead poisoning (did anyone else know that there is a ton of lead in jewelry? Because I didn't.), other types of poisoning, inner ear infection from hell, aneurysm, Lyme disease, Google-based anxiety *seriously, Google is the worst ever for hypochondria. It tells you, "You symptoms could be ANYTHING and they will all kill you in three months! BUAHAHA!"*, hypoglycemia turned into full diabetes, or anything else that has ever been a disease or sickness.

I know this borders on a rant, and like I said, my symptoms are sort of vague. But something is definitely wrong, and I don't want to be waved away again when I go to the doctor. Can anyone even give me a clue? My head is killing me, but my anxiety might finish the job first. ): Like I mentioned earlier, I very, VERY often get a lack of symptoms when I am ill. I have had strep throat and the only reason we checked is because my throat tickled when I bent over. No symptoms for the entire duration of the illness. Similarly, I don't ever throw up, even when sick with a stomach virus. What if I have a worse sickness, but a distinct lack of symptoms prevents it from ever being discovered?
Where should I start? MRI? Blood test? Urine test? Full blood count? CT scan?

Just need help...
Sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread