It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
(female)

mollyfin HB User
Scared I have brain tumor; doctor is concerned

I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, so leaping to the worst-case scenario isn't new for me. However, this time around my doctor agrees that my symptoms are worrisome and need to see a neurologist.

I started having muscle cramps, tremors, weakness and twitches when I started on Wellbutrin, so I figured it was a side effect. But then I started having constant migraine symptoms - sensitivity to light, eye pain, vision disturbances (afterimages and palinopsia), left-sided weakness and tingling (arm, leg, face) - and then they simply stopped going away and became permanent. I'm starting to have full-on numbness and occasional stiffness in the fingers of my left hand and facial pain on the left side and am walking oddly; not sure how to describe it; it's like my left leg was taken off and put back on incorrectly. It suddenly seems to be getting worse, but I don't know if that's just because I can't stop thinking about it. I also have neck pain and headaches, but not terrible ones.

I went to the doctor today and he tested my arm and leg and agrees that my left side is definitely weaker than my right. I'm scared that I have brain cancer. I have an appointment with a neurologist in two weeks, but I don't know how I'm going to make it that long. I can't stop crying, I can't eat, I can't do anything but lie in bed (but not sleep of course). I don't know how to deal with this. I'll be 30 in a few months, which I think is the beginning of prime brain tumor age - not that it even really matters, since there are plenty of people out there with brain cancer in their 20s.

I also can't walk on my heels, though my doctor didn't do that particular test. My right foot drops when I try. (Edit: just tried it again. Did it this time. Now my body's just messing with me!) Can't do the heel to toe walk without falling over, though. My legs shake too much.

My mom thinks it's a pinched nerve, but I don't think a pinched nerve could affect both the arm and the leg, so I doubt that.

Last edited by mollyfin; 01-09-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Scared I have brain tumor; doctor is concerned

Why not ask your Dr that you saw today to get you in for an MRI. That way you will have the results when you see the neurologist and you will know something sooner. I would also ask your Dr to call the neurologist to expedite your appointment. Two weeks is a long time to wait with symptoms like these, and in the meantime you could injure yourself with your balance being off etc. There is no good reason your Dr can't order the MRI now (with contrast).

Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

A pinched nerve could definitely cause that. I had one once that did some things I didn't think would be related. A couple of trips to the chiro and I was good to go.

I don't know that I would have an MRI before seeing the neurologist. My experience is that they are very picky about the kind you have and where. Unless you can find out which facility he would use, I wouldn't bother as you might have to do it again.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Are you still on the Wellbutrin? What dosage?

q

Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

mollyfin HB User

Not sure if I would be able to get an MRI prescription/request/whatever it is you need from my regular doctor. I'll probably just wait and see if the neurologist says I need one. Which, in my experience, they always do, even if they think nothing is wrong...which is fine generally but I friggin' hate those tubes. Oh well.

I thought a nerve in the neck and upper back would affect the arms, lower back in the legs...not both at once. But I'm no expert obviously!

Still on the Wellbutrin, 75 mg. I stopped cold turkey for a few days because the dose I was on was doing crazy things to me, but the doctor has me tapering down instead.

Last edited by mollyfin; 01-10-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
(male)

bfff2020 HB User

they're pretty serious symptoms and time may be of the essence

I would keep a record of your symptoms/severity so you know if it's getting worse/better

if it seems like it's deteriorating I'd push for the appt to be brought forward, did they check your blood pressure?

take care

Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
(female)

mollyfin HB User

Yes, my blood pressure is normal. I do plan on going back if things get worse.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Molly,

I don't think you have a brain tumor. I find it interesting that these symptoms started after you began taking Wellbutrin. I looked up side effects of Wellbutrin and most of your issues are listed. I think there is a definite connection. It may take a while for all of your symptoms to subside even after completely stopping the drug. By all means, keep your appointment with the neurologist just to be on the safe side, but in the meantime, stop worrying about worst case scenario. It's probably a drug side effect. Take care

Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
(female)

mollyfin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
Molly,

I don't think you have a brain tumor. I find it interesting that these symptoms started after you began taking Wellbutrin. I looked up side effects of Wellbutrin and most of your issues are listed. I think there is a definite connection. It may take a while for all of your symptoms to subside even after completely stopping the drug. By all means, keep your appointment with the neurologist just to be on the safe side, but in the meantime, stop worrying about worst case scenario. It's probably a drug side effect. Take care
Thanks...the thing that concerns me the most is that there's such significant weakness on my left side. When I initially started having side effects, they were pretty evenly spread out. At first I just thought it was frequent migraine auras, because I'm known to get them without ever actually having a migraine itself, but then it just stopped going away and became constant.

Nothing to do but wait and see I guess. I talked to my doctor again today and he still believes it to be nothing serious, but it's hard to believe that when your body is just not acting right.

Last edited by mollyfin; 01-11-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
(female)

fordaisy HB User

mollyfin, whatever happened? Are you doing better?

Reply Reply