It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
(male)

mangzilla HB User
Could this be infected?

I had some screws removed from my foot after a lisfranc injury just over 2 weeks ago. I had the sutures removed yesterday and upon removing the dressing one of my incisions was swollen and a little red.

The doctor who I seen for this appointment said its probably just swollen tissue from surgery lingering and I remember my surgeon saying he had trouble getting to one of the screws which leads me to believe it was this one. The other two are very small incisions in my old scars but this one is a new incision completely.

It is not painful or tender at all. Just swollen and red. THere has also been no discharge and it is not warm to the touch but it looks to me a little of a concern. What are your thoughts? I will be seeing my GP on monday to get a referral for the podiatrist but I don't know whether I should rush out and see her today.

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/y...pse6fb9545.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps117f5145.jpg

I hope I am just being paranoid and reading to far into it, but any advice would be great. It looks a little more red in person then in the photo.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Re: Could this be infected?

Hi...2 weeks is really not that long since surgery and I looked at your pictures and it looks good. But keep a close eye on it and look for oozing or swelling and if the would becomes hot and red and swollen. Are you on an antibotic or given cream to apply to the wound? It's good that it doesn't hurt but if any of those symptoms begin, see your doctor. Heel quick!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

It doesn't look infected at this point, but is definitely a tad angry around the area. Did you have tape on where it's red? could be an allergic reaction.

If it's from tape, I'd use a steroid cream twice for a day or two...but if it was under a completely covered area and not from tape, I'd put antibiotic cream for a few days only.

It looks good overall, keep an eye on it for sure.

You could try soaking it in salted water, or put gauze soaked in salted water over that area a few times a day. Make sure the water's boiled, but COOLED DOWN A LOT as to not burn...add the salt, etc.

After soaking it, add the antibiotic.

Don't wear a sock over it or it'll continue to rub and for sure cause infection...use a protective bandage under the sock (or pants or whatever).

q

Last edited by quincy; 05-04-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
(male)

mangzilla HB User

Thank's for the intel guys.

It didn't have tape over it, there was these sort of like water proof patches over all of the incisions. The other two are fine, just this one is looking concerning. The surgeon did tell me that he had to open one of the incision's much more then the other two because he was having trouble getting the screw out, could it be just that there was a little more trauma in this area?

It's still the same today, still not painful or any more red and swollen and still no heat. It actually started looking a little less inflamed last night but it might be my mind playing tricks on me.

Do you need a prescription to get antibiotic cream? They didn't give me anything like that or suggest it. I've got an appointment with my GP tomorrow so I'll just take care of it for now and see how it is this evening.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Wink Re: Could this be infected?

Glad to hear it is better. They have some antibotic creams at the pharmacy and they would help heal faster. The wounds should be scabbing by now and maybe itching. That is a good sign. I'm sure it will all become normal looking very soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to NJLinda For This Useful Post:
mangzilla (05-05-2013)
Reply Reply